Getting a cracked screen replaced?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevo505, Sep 22, 2012.

1. stevo505 macrumors member

I made an appointment for the Genius Bar to see if I can get my iPhone 5 replaced with AppleCare+ (yes, I dropped it already :() and I was wondering if I need to bring the box and everything else that came with my iPhone? Also, will they give me a brand new phone or will they just hold onto it so they can fix the screen?

2. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

im sorry for your loss....

3. frankwhite217 macrumors newbie

By any chance could you explain what happen at the Genius Bar? I'm in the same boat smh

4. Jman13 macrumors 68000

If they have the parts, they'll probably replace the screen while you're there. Otherwise, probably a new phone. The iPhone 5 has a very easy to replace front assembly. It's the first thing that comes out when undoing the screws.

Take out Screws...lift glass with suction cup. Decouple display cable...reverse and done.

They can probably do it in 10 minutes.

The 4 and 4S on the other hand required a complete disassembly of the entire device to get to the screen.

5. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

what did you do to cause your screen to crack? Ive been numerous drop tests with the iphone 5 and it didnt shatter in the videos... You must have thrown it down on purpose.

6. frankwhite217 macrumors newbie

Mine fell out of my shirt pocket as I was tying my shoes. Literally the worst luck ever. The drop was less than a foot. Is it too pre-mature for them to have spare parts this early on?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I frequently have my iPhone in my shirt pocket but I usually transfer it to my pants pocket just for this reason :(

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Sorry about your screen, good thing you have AC+. Since the iPhone 5 just came out I think you would get a new 5. Let us know how you make out after your appointment.

9. Luxo macrumors newbie

Bring it all with you, it's likely they'll take mercy on you and swap it out.

10. jumpmandds macrumors regular

Damn already some people need old ass flip phones lol clumsy people

11. frankwhite217 macrumors newbie

Lol I had my iPhone 4 for 2 years and never had this happen. I guess law of averages caught up to me

12. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

13. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

They would replace it instead of fixing it... Sucks that its already broken..

14. frankwhite217 macrumors newbie

Are you sure they have replacement screens for the 5 already?