Getting a free iPad Air which is faster iPad Air or iPad Mini 4 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by max2, Nov 13, 2015.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

I am guessing the iPad Mini 4 by some. Any way to compare them online by specs and benchmarks ?

2. tann macrumors 68000

iPad mini 4 will also perform much better for longer due to the 2gb of ram. (Like it can multitask whereas the Air cannot).

3. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Mini 4's 2GB DRAM will have a greater impact than any minor speed difference between the two.

Pro > Air 2 > Mini 4 > Air

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

All benchmarks, tests, and anecdotal evidence I know of says that the Mini 4 is faster. It's processor is a generation ahead (with a slightly higher clock speed than even the original A8) plus double the RAM of the Air. According to Apple's official specs, the Mini 4 is supposed to offer a 30% increase in CPU and a 60% increase in graphics performance over the Air.

5. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

as far as CPU power, i think mini 4 with A8 'might' be a little better, but i doubt you will notice during normal use like web broswing and video streaming...

one other thing you should consider is that the mini 4 comes with 2GB of ram, so it supports a lot of iOS9 features that air doesnt. such as PIP, and multi tasking

6. newellj macrumors 601

This would be my recommendation, too. I think the 2GB RAM barrier is going to be important in terms of length of future usefulness.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

8. KPOM macrumors G5

The mini 4 is faster, but is it $399 faster? That's the key question.

9. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

What do you mean?

10. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I mean I think you should get a Mini 4 like many others said Mini 4 is better than Air.

11. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok.

12. LCPepper macrumors regular

LCPepper

I had the iPad Air and ended up selling it, because it was useless. You couldn't have more than two tabs opening without reloading, nor switch between apps without waiting for reopening. I had had the original Mini, and even that was a million times better.

I've now got the iPad Mini 4 and it's amazing, so much more useful with multitasking to. I take it everywhere too, seen as its more portable than and iPad Air or my rMBP.

iPad mini 4 any day of the week.

13. newellj macrumors 601

Nonsense. The original Mini had the same hardware as the iPad 2: A5, 512kb RAM. The Air, and the Mini 2, stepped that up to an A7 with 1GB RAM. I've owned them all and the iPad 2 and original Mini were not better, much less "a million times better" when running the same version of iOS.

14. LCPepper macrumors regular

LCPepper

"Million times better" is a hyperbole, but I suppose if it had like you said "512KB" RAM, then it would be much worse.

We also have to take into account that the original iPad Mini did not have a retina screen, nor did it have a 64bit SOC. Both of which significantly increase the RAM requirements, meaning that the iPad Air with it's paltry 1GB was just running into memory issues all the time. A quick search on these forums will show you that, you wouldn't be able to count the amount of iOS System Logs people have posted that contain 'out of memory' exceptions.

I'm not talking about, say, graphics performance with games, where a game can load up eat the RAM and you don't notice. I'm talking about the inability to quickly flick back and forth between apps (copying and pasting, sending messages etc) without having to start from the beginning with them, where you can have several tabs open without them reloading every time you switch between them, or where you don't just get random app crashes because your iPad has come to the end of it's memory.

Yes on paper the A7 will "eat" the A5, just like Samsung phones "eat" iPhones, yet that's not really reflective of the real-world situation. One thing I will say, is that I cannot recall is what the highest iOS I ran on the original iPad Mini was. I believe it was iOS 7 (it had the Ive UI), but on iPad Air is was definitely iOS 7 then 8... Even giving time for optimisation though updates, it just got worse and worse.

My sister still uses that very same original iPad Mini, and it still works fine, despite its age. Certainly still runs better than my iPad Air ever did. My iPad Mini 4 is an absolute charm however! I think I definitely prefer the iPad Mini size anyway... Perhaps my mal experience with the iPad Air was a sign?