Getting a new alu MacBook, how can I be sure of good screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by evilgreg, Jun 3, 2009.

1. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

I searched and couldn't find a thread about this already.

Basically, I've heard that there is apparently an improved screen on the newer MacBooks but only certain ones have it. I'm planning on going to the Apple Store on Saturday morning to pick up a 2.4 unibody MacBook but I want to be sure I have the best screen. Are there any markings on the box, and if not, how can I tell when I boot up the 'book?

Love,
    Greg

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

the only way to tell is by looking on the settings.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Somebody on here mentioned that at the Apple stores, the new screen models have a small green sticker on the box.

Also, all the Apple stores are stocked with only the new screened models, whereas other stores (Frys, BestBuy, etc) may have a mix, or old or new, it depends on their sales rate.

4. evilgreg thread starter macrumors regular

evilgreg

Green sticker means purchased. I had a green sticker when I got my original MacBook back in 06 and had them put the RAM in for me...never doing that again.

5. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

You are confirmed of the newer screens as long as the manufactured date is April 09 &/or later. Good luck. :) Furthermore, IMO, you'll want to hope for a 9CA8 & avoid a 9CA6 based on my own experience. There seems to be different grades of quality between screen manufacturers.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Oh. Well thanks for clearing that up! I've never had a sticker on anything I've bought so I wasn't sure.

7. moderniste macrumors member

I've wondered the same thing. I was thinking of ordering from Amazon to avoid sales tax at Apple, but I am worried that they might have older ones. Has anybody ordered from them recently, and if so what screen did you get?

8. evilgreg thread starter macrumors regular

evilgreg

I'm going in Saturday morning to my local Apple Store and I'll report what screen I have once I get it set up and home later that day. Fingers crossed!

9. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

If this is the case, then the OP should be able to tell from the serial number before opening the box.

Make sure your serial number is xx915xxxxxx or above. The higher the number, the more likely you have an updated screen. So it should be 915, 916, 917 etc. Anything above 919 will probably guarantee you the updated screen. (919 or above = manufactured in May 2009)

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You should have no problem getting the new screen model however wouldn't you want to wait at least until WWDC which is on Monday in case of an update on the Macbooks?

11. glitch44 macrumors 65816

What about ordering from Apple.com-- new manufactures or do they have a backlog of older stuff?

12. evilgreg thread starter macrumors regular

evilgreg

It'll most likely be an incremental update so I'll be okay with sacrificing maybe a 0.2 ghz bump for getting it a week early. Now if I wake up Monday morning and hear that they added firewire or some other major feature, I'll be returning that MacBook quicker than white on rice.

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Usually new. A lot of Macs ship directly from China.

Last year when I ordered my June iMac it wasn't even a week old before I got it.

14. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Another way you can pretty much guarantee a new macbook is buy ordering it CTO though the Apple Online Store. Upgrade somethig small like hard drive, or RAM. You will probably end up spending about 75 to 100 bucks more, but you will be assured of getting one of the new revision screens.

15. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

Good point, I never even thought of that. I might order mine BTO, and have it shipped to my house. But I still don't know if I trust the UPS guy to handle with care. I just cringe when I think of him tossing the box at the door. :confused:

16. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I'm sorry for this but what's the difference between BTO and CTO? What do they stand for?

17. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

BTO (Build to Order) CTO (Configure to Order). BTO is the old school acronym, most companies refer to it as CTO because most companies now don't let you build the computer through their stores anymore, you just choose configurations of ram, hard drives, processors and ram.