Getting a new Hard Drive: Wait until end of the month or go now

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajumbaje, Sep 5, 2009.

1. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

Im looking at the Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200RPM hard drive for my 08 Macbook Pro (when Penryn first came out)

There is also a Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 coming out near the end of the month.

Anyone had experience with either? Will the 7200RPM make my laptop hotter?

Also, I was gonna have an Apple reseller put it in for me because I think I have at least a year and a half left on Apple Care.

I have a 250 gb 5400rpm right now, it was the one that came with the laptop. I might consider dual booting in the future, but I would think this is a good upgrade in case I get a lot of pictures, podcasts, etc on there so I wouldnt have to be conserving space.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the seagate 7200.4 500gig hard drive and its been in my computer for a few months now. I have no increase in heat or power consumption.

I see no reason to wait till the end of the month, if you need one now, get one. If you want to save some bucks, get the 5400rpm version. The speed isn't that much slower, thanks to the data density of the 500gig drive and it is quieter then the 7200.

Some people have reported higher vibration feel or sound from their 7200 500gig drives. I'm not one of them, its just as quiet and I've not noticed any increase in vibration.