Getting a new MBP… should I get 4GB or 8GB of RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by decoyman, May 25, 2010.

1. decoyman macrumors newbie

In the near future, I'll be springing for a new MBP 17" with the i7 upgrade to replace my aging '06 MBP. I was just playing with the configuration over my lunch (for maybe the 600th time this month, haha), and began thinking about RAM.

I'm a graphic designer, so I use my MBP for paid design work – web and print mostly, but there'll be some video work too. I will be also be switching to Adobe CS5 soon…

So, would the difference between 8GB and 4GB be worth an extra $360?

P.S. – I know RAM is super-easy to upgrade… but with only two slots, I'd have to buy all-new RAM anyways to go to a higher capacity (2x4GB), meaning I'll have two 2GB sticks of RAM laying around. I'm just wondering if it'd be simpler/smarter to go with 8GB right out of the gate…

2. thomashw macrumors newbie

I would upgrade the RAM myself, and sell the old sticks to get some money back.

Apple charges way too much for upgrades.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Buying 8GB from 3rd party is still cheaper, as low as ~250$ if you trade-in your old RAM. I would try with 4GB and upgrade if needed

4. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

^ Ditto...although memory is getting more $$$$$!!! :eek:

5. decoyman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys! That sounds like a good plan. Last time I bought, I didn't have to deal with this: my MBP came with 1GB of RAM… but it was 1X1GB, and the max was 2GB anyways, so I just bought an extra stick on my own later on. Did save some cash that way.

Wow, that was a long time ago. :p

One other thing… am I reading this right – is there a trade-in service with some RAM sellers?