Getting a New MBP w/ Max Performance & Value - Best Upgrades @ Best Price for New MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecommonwealth, Feb 24, 2011.

1. thecommonwealth macrumors newbie

I'm going to get a new MBP 15 with an SSD.

Currently running: 2.16 GIGA hertz Core Deuce, 1GB RAM (OEM!), light scratches to screen, tricked out with OSX 10.4.11!!!

While I don't need the world in a manila envelope, I want a computer that will handle all of my needs for years to come. I do heavy photo-editing, but aside from that am a pretty basic user - mostly music editing/internet/video/word processing (no gaming, 3D pron, or 3D pron gaming).

The Apple SSD options have gotten more competitive, but this option still seems far better:

OWC 240GB Mercury Extreme Pro SSD

$519.00 Shipped - $31.00 rebate for 500GB 5400 rpm HDD =$488.00

vs.

MAC 256GB SSD
    built in = $600.00

4 questions:

1. Is this the best upgrade (and best brand for the money SSD) a "typical" user can make? I'm planning to upgrade to 8GB RAM, but would like to get an SSD immediately.
    2. Should I keep the HDD and run this set-up: OWC 240 SSD Internal + 500 GB HDD external drive for $539?
    3. If I replace my HDD with an SSD, do I really need disk management software?
    4. Critique my tentative new MBP:

15" 2.0GHz Quad i7, 4 GB RAM, 240GB OWC SSD, High-Res Anti Glare Screen

Thanks for any info/help!

2. ChronoIMG macrumors regular

ChronoIMG

If you want the best machine for years to come, I'd really recommend going with the 2.2ghz as it has a much better video card. You may not need it today but if you gimp yourself with the low end video card, you'd need to buy a new machine to correct that problem.

As for the SSD, I went with the BTO option as I don't want to install it myself. Also if I have any problems with the SSD, I walk into an Apple Store and get it fixed for 3 years at no extra cost (except for AppleCare of course -- which is cheaper than the SSD).

3. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I can tell you what I will be getting in the next month or so, and I think it would be a good deal for you too.

15" 2.2 GHz Quad i7, 4 GB RAM, High-Res AG Screen

I think the jump from 2.0 to 2.2 is worth it because of the better video card as well. Don't think the jump from 2.2 to 2.3 for 250 bucks is worth it though. If you do heavy photo editing I would think the high-res anti-glare screen would be a nice upgrade. As far as the hard drive, I am going to wait for the SF-2000 controlled drives that should be coming out within a month or two. The new MBPs are SATA III compatible, the OWC you have picked out peaks out at SATA II speeds. So just to get the most for your money, I would wait and get a SATA III compliant drive. I will be getting mine from OWC as well. Good choice there. Hope this helps!

EDIT: OWC also sells a bundle including a tool kit and external enclosure for your stock drive if you wish to use it as a bootable external. I think it's a good deal because if you ever have a problem you can just swap drives and you're all good.

4. thecommonwealth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for the advice.

1. How do my current graphics compare to the new lower end MBP 15? (ATY RadeonX1600 256 VRAM vs AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256MB GDDR5)

2. Will SATA III drives be at the same price point?