Getting a work phone... don't want to carry 2 phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Globug, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

So I'm starting a new job on Tuesday and i'll be getting my very own brand spanking new iPhone 6s plus. I currently have an iPhone 5s and kinda prefer the size of the phone i have no to the new phone. Is there a way i can have my texts and calls forwarded from one phone to the other?

I already know how to fwd calls so i guess this question is more for texts and imesseges.
    Thanks in advance.

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Not that I'm aware of.

Texts are sent via messaging centre numbers which are on the SIM card.

3. bniu macrumors 6502a

You can't use your personal number for work? I've always done it and never had any of my superiors care. I've got unlimited minutes, so I don't really care. I find the convenience of using one phone to outweigh any of the downsides.

4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Yeah. Transfer the number if you can. Managing two phones is a drag. I used to do it a number of years back and that was with two flip phones. It'd be even more of a nuisance with smart phones.

5. scaredpoet, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I wouldn't transfer the number, seeing as if you change jobs later, it could be hell (or even impossible) to get the number back. I would instead check to see if instead of a company-owned line, OP's work might have an option to reimburse for cell phone bills. They might only offer a partial reimbursement (on account of some of the use still being personal), but still better than nothing and would probably save them money in the end.

Also, depending on the employer, you might have to be wary about the strings that come attached to a company-owned phone. Some things are understandable, like passcode requirements, app restrictions and remote-wipe ability to protect sensitive data. But some places can and do track location and usage, even when you're on your own time. So it's good to know exactly what can be tracked, what they are tracking, and whether OP is comfortable with that.

That being said, I was apprehensive about the larger phone size too when I first went 5S -> 6 Plus. But now, I don't think I could go back.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Am I wrong in thinking continuity would solve this issue so long as your devices are connected to wifi?

7. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

Before I was unlimited text, I used to maintain my personal (iPhone) and work (generic flip) mobile phones. Then I ditched the work phone after unlimited text.

The only problem with using a personal phone for work use in a corporate environment depends on how strict the BYOD policy is. Depending on how secure your work environment is, they will have managed device infrastructure in place, so they might require you subject your personal device to company policies, both technical and procedural.

Case in point: Employee uses personal iPhone for work use at Company. Company uses Exchange email. Company uses mobile profiles to configure iOS devices for things like certificates, mail server settings, VPN settings, etc. Employee is terminated (whether for misconduct or cutbacks). Company issues remote wipe to device via AD/Exchange.

Then there's the flip side of the coin, and using the work phone for personal use, which some companies allow. My workplace allows this as long as employees cover the difference in plan overages. I would never do this because this lets the company audit your phone history (calls placed, texts, etc).

8. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

Thanks for the replies everyone. Using my own phone is not an option. I'll be doing real estate and the work number will be advertised online to clients. So with that comes spam calls, nasty text messages etc..... People can also find out my home address if they get my personal number.
    I'm not too sure what continually is or how it works with regular texting vs imesseges, so if someone could explain that would be brilliant. I won't always have connection to wifi as i'll be out of the office for some of the day as well.

9. rzc16512 macrumors regular

By chance are both numbers (or maybe just the phone you don't want to carry around) on AT&T? If so, a feature called NumberSync should be coming out soon that I believe will allow calls to ring to your other devices even if the other phone isn't turned on. You can read more about it at https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/features/numbersync.html

10. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

I'm in Australia so don't have AT&T. I did when i lived in NYC but that doesn't help me now :(

11. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Yes there is - I have a work and personal iPhone also. Here is what I did:
    1. Sign in to both using the same Apple ID and both phone numbers will be registered against your Apple ID. Either phones can then be configured to receive each other iMessages.
    2. On each Phone, go to Settings / Messages and turn on 'Text Message forwarding'. Each phone will then receive each other SMS messages......but only when the 2 phones are in range of each other by WiFi and/or Bluetooth.
    3. On each Phone, go to Settings / Phone and enable 'Calls on Other Devices'. Now both phones can ring when one is called .....but only when the 2 phones are in range of each other by WiFi and/or Bluetooth.
    You have to be signed into the same Apple ID on both phones for any of these to work.

All of these options are quite configurable. For example, I forward everything 1 way so my personal phone get's my work iPhone's iMessages, SMSs and Calls but not the other way around.

12. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

If you use iMessage, and have the same iCloud ID used on both phones, the messages will go to both devices.

13. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

By default, yes. You can turn this off on one or both phones if required.

14. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

The OP wanted to know how to get messages going to two phones. Why would you bring up that you can turn something off that I'm suggesting to help solve the problem???

15. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

That question was already answered in Post #11. Just adding that its also configurable.

16. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

I actually maintain a Google Voice number for this type of thing. Granted, you mention you're in Australia, so I'm not sure if it's available to you. But essentially Google Voice is simply a phone number you obtain that's tied to your Google account. Then you can have forward to your mobile phone. Use the Google Voice iOS app to place calls and send texts from the Google Voice number. Unlimited free voice and SMS within the US.

17. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That's going to be the tricky part. There are comments above about using iMessage but as a real estate person you don't get to pick the OS on your clients' smartphones.

Google Voice would work if you could use the GV number as a work or personal number. Then you'd just use the GV app for one line and Messages and the Phone app for the other. No MMS on GV though.

18. canuckRus macrumors 6502

canuckRus

iCloud should automatically text forward or on new phone go to Settings>Messages >Text Message Forwarding(with code showing on receiving Apple product)