Getting an iPhone 4S to tomorrow....should I keep my iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shadyriley, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

My friend says that he would never use an ipad since he has an iphone 4, says it does more than the iPad. Doesnt see the point in having "a big iphone that can't make calls" or "a big iPod touch". I have been dealing with a palm pixi the past year and a half and I have had the iPad since Mid july. I have a white macbook also. What do you think?

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I agree with your friend. I don't see a reason to keep the iPad 2. My iPhone 4s is always with me everywhere I go inside and outside the house so I'm always using it. Plus it does everything I need. It's just a lot more personal than an iPad. Its my phone, my camera, internet...it has eveything i need and is always on me. I tried buying an iPad many times but just couldn't justify it. I see the ipad as an extra, a toy whereas my iphone is my phone plus a whole lot more. It's up to you but I think if you have an iPhone and a MacBook, the iPad is unnecessary.

3. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

If my iPhone 4s had a 4'+ screen, I would have sold my iPad 2.

4. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

I don't really know what you do with your devices so I can only give advice based on my own usage. I pretty much have no use for an iPad, having an iPhone 4S and a Macbook Pro. Between the two, all my tasks can be accomplished. Unless you do a lot of heavy reading on your iPad or just need the big screen for some reason there's really not much point to having a giant iPhone in addition to what you already have. That being said, if I happened to have an iPad laying around and I didn't need the extra money I could get from selling it I'd probably use it just 'cause it's fun.

5. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I use my iPhone when I'm out and about. When I'm home, I use my iPad. Doesn't make any sense at all to try and read a book, surf the web, play games, watch movies, edit a pages doc, etc on 3.5" screen when you have a 10" one in the same room.

You may say...."well I have a laptop!" but a laptop kills he experience with its clunkiness and isn't as bed friendly.

I've got so used to my iPad that when I use my phone, I always feel like something is missing.

6. InternetDude08 macrumors regular

Keep your iPad2. I have both. The iPad is good for sitting in the chair at home surfing the net, and the iPhone is good for when you're on the go. The iPhone's screen is a bit small for some websites, and the iPad has a lot longer battery life, which is why it's so good to use at home. I like both and use both daily.

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

8. bri1212 macrumors 6502

Your friend is jealous that you can have both, and he can't. Anyone who calls the iPad a "big iPod touch" has never used one for any length of time. And anyone who has ever owned one, knows that you do different things with each. The one thing you will find for sure is that you will use your macbook a lot less.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Keep It

You will miss your iPad if you sell it. I have both, and they are both in daily use.

10. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Yep +1 to this exactly

11. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I say grow a spine and don't worry what your friend says about what device/s you own. Why do you care what he/she has to say? You want both keep both, you want to sell your iPad, sell it.

12. Walter Bell macrumors regular

What function does your ipad 2 serve? My iphone simply can not replace my ipad 2. My ipad 2 is used for school, and being able to view pdf's, .ppt , .doc, .xls and everything else on the ipad 2 is amazing. Maybe if I had a 5.3" screen on my iphone would I consider giving up my ipad 2, but as it stands the iphone just had to small of a screen to be able to comfortably handle documents for long periods of time.

13. Lukus macrumors member

14. ijohnbro macrumors regular

Yeah because internet browsing the iPhone screen size is much better

----------

Yeah those Apple fans sure like that 3.5 inch screen. Good for squinting

15. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I guess you have a point. But my MacBook Air is very bed friendly and portable, which is why I don't have an iPad. I wouldn't mind owning one and I probably would if I had some extra money and didn't know what to spend it on

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

I think you should think for yourself; your friend sounds ignorant.

If you find in a few weeks that you never use your ipad2, then sell it. Otherwise keep it.

Not everyone's needs are served by an ipad, but most people should be able to comprehend that ipads/iphones each cater to very different needs. For example, try reading/highlighting/annotating PDFs on a phone.

17. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

My phone is my phone, emails, text, quick web look ups, notes, alarm, meebo lol

My iPad is for web surfing, games (N.O.V.A 2 for the win) and some other crap I could find lol.