Getting as much mileage out of my G4 as possible

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macuser98765, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Macuser98765 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a PowerPC G4 that I bought in 2001. The hard drive died, and I bought two new hard drives in the past year. I'm beginning to think my user habits are too much for this computer. I often am using video editing software at the same time as a brower, iPhoto, Microsoft Word and Adobe inDesign.
    So, I was thinking of either getting a Macbook Pro, or the iMac. Which do you recommend? I don't carry my Mac around with me all the time, so I don't really need a laptop, although it would be handy. Also, if any of you out there are G4 users, are you getting boinking sounds every so often, and the computer automatically types zeros when you don't want it to? Like this0000000.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If you don't have a need to be portable, get the iMac. More bang for the buck and larger screen.

I don't have boinking sounds or spontaneous zeroes on my PowerBook.

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Are you using an Apple Bluetooth keyboard??? My iBook G4 would often go nuts and repeat keys when it was connected to my Apple BT KB. Weird.

4. Macuser98765 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. I am still using the G4 desktop, so I have a tower, and a 17" studio display. Perhaps the iMac is the way to go. Anyway, I called Applecare, and they said the boinking sounds mean my hard drive is in trouble. Then the guy at the genius bar at the Apple store said perhaps its my firmware. I'll just wait until this desktop goes completely kaput. Eight years is a good lifespan for a Mac.

5. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

The noises and the zeros make me think your keyboard is malfunctioning in some way. I'd try another one.

6. Macuser98765 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I thought the keyboard was the culprit also, but I unhooked the keyboard and the computer behaved the same way. I will try another keyboard though, and I'll let you know if the zeros and boinking go away.

7. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

run "apple hardware test" on it.

If you have the CD that came with the computer, then put it in and hold down the D key while starting up (yes, the d key, not the c key).

Then run the hardware test. Before starting the test, you can hit L, or cmd+L, or whatever to get it to loop. You'll see "looping enabled" or something.

If you don't have the original CD (or if you don't feel like getting out of your chair and looking for it) you can download the hardware test from http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

It's not like you have applecare on your G4, so even if you determine that you have a problem you're not gonna get it fixed by apple... but this might help you clear up some of the mystery.

BTW, I don't think running a lot of applications at the same time has anything to do with the stress you're putting on your computer. 5 applications using 100% of your processing power should be the same as a single app using 100% of your processing power.

However, hard drive access can be an issue. If your hard drive is constantly spinning up and then going back to sleep that could put additional wear and tear on it, but if it's less than a couple of years old i don't think it would be dead yet.

8. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Oh, that's lame, seems to suggest it's not the keyboard. Hmm...

9. Macuser98765 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved! Thanks

Hey Leighonigar, guess what! It WAS the keyboard! I started up my Mac using a new keyboard, and the boinking went away. Just unhooking the old keyboard wasn't enough I guess.