Getting AT&T iPhone 4/4S factory unlocked from elsewehere (except AT&T directly)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rak007, Aug 27, 2012.

1. rak007 macrumors 6502a

I am planning to buy either an iPhone 4 or 4S (not really keen on next iPhone for now). I figured out that factory unlocked iPhone 4/4S go for substantially higher price (used) on the usual websites like craigslist / ebay etc while the AT&T locked ones are lower.
    Now i want the iPhone to be factory unlocked before i buy or have to get it unlocked after i buy a locked one as i intend to use it outside the USA.
    I am not an AT&T customer and never was so i am pretty sure that if i buy a iPhone4/4S from ebay etc and tell AT&T to unlock, they will not entertain me.
    But i do find several listings on ebay and craigslist where people offer getting permanent unlock for the iPhone 4/4S for 15$ and around.

How legitimate these listings are and do they work ? Can i buy a used AT&T iPhone 4/4S and use these services from ebay / craigslist etc to get a permanent unlock, thus saving good amount of money vis-a-vis buying a factory unlocked iPhone 4/4S ?

One such listing is this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATT-AT-T-UN...737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec1534de9

Please tell me if what i am planning to do is feasible ? I do not want to end up with a locked phone which i cannot use.

2. Lord Zed macrumors newbie

I wasn't aware you could permanently unlock i phones. Why not just buy a locked one from walmart for 149 and jailbreak it?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Because the one at walmart comes with a 2 year contract and a $325 early termination fee.
    And you dont unlock it with a JB, you need to pay for an IMEI unlock and those are around $50-100.

4. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, but i see there are IMEI unlocks for under 25$ as well on ebay.

----------

Another question, might be dumb but does it matter if the iOS version on the iPhone 4S i may buy is iOS 5.1.1 or iOS 6 ?
    Asking because i plan to buy the iPhone after the new one is launched and since iOS 6 will also be launched, i am sure many people will update the iOS version in their iPhones as well.
    Just want to be sure.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you get it IMEI unlocked its officially unlocked forever.
    It doesnt matter what iOS its on, you can restore, update at any time.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

7. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thanks guys, good to know.
    That's some nice prices too.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you really want an unlocked phone, go to the apple store or their web site and buy the factory unlocked phone.
    With the options you list, you have to worry about fraudulent misrepresentation. If you don't care if you get a locked phone, then use the link you listed instead.

10. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

Yep, that should work like a charm and you saved a few hundred bucks :D

11. taraanderson macrumors newbie