Getting AT&T to unlock iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by calvy, Sep 12, 2012.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

So, here's the story. I have a 4S, my girlfriend has a 16gb iPhone 4. I'm going to purchase the iPhone 5 for contract price + $250 because neither of us are currently eligible for an upgrade. What I would like to do though is giver her my 4s, and sell the 16gb iPhone 4. As you probably know, if I can get it unlocked, resale value will be much greater.

Will AT&T unlock this phone for me after we both make the switch? I should mention currently my girlfriend and I are not on the same account.

2. Jnyce macrumors regular

here ya go! kinda doing the same thing

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

That doesn't really answer my question unfortunately. I guess what I'm wondering is if deactivating her iPhone 4 will make it eligible for unlock, even though both of us will technically be under contract still.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You sign a new contract when you buy the iPhone 5. The iPhone 4 would then be not under contract anymore so you should be able to get it unlocked. The contract would apply to the iPhone 5.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    It doesnt matter if its deactivated or not.
    What matters is if its under contract or not.
    If your particular line is under contract with another device's IMEI then your old device that was on that line can be unlocked.