Getting by with 16GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Domino8282, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

So I've had a 64GB iP5 for the past year, and somehow let my wife talk me into just getting the 16GB 5S.

I have iTunes Match and don't really watch saved videos on my phone (I would use Netflix or Hulu). But even so, I started cleaning up my phone and can't get the damn thing under 26GB. I guess I just have a crapload of apps, so I'm going to delete everything I don't use.

Anyway, I know this is kinda a pointless post, but can someone who has gotten by on 16GB reassure me that it's do-able and that you don't miss the extra space?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense but I don't think anyone can "assure" you because it all depends on your usage.

For instance, you can certainly can get under the 16gb threshold, by removing all your music and most apps, but then you are left with a phone that is not as useable as you want.

We have no idea of what apps, music, videos that you have and want to keep.

All I can say is remove all apps, all music/video and start adding only the apps and content you cannot live without.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You're going to miss the extra space.

I've always bought the 32GB iPhone but for the 5 I went with the 16GB to see if I could make it. I couldn't. I am constantly deleting apps and pictures off my phone to take more pictures and install more apps.

Needless to say, I went back to 32GB for the 5S.

4. Defender2010, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I always buy a 16GB iPhone. I have iTunes Match like you, 150 apps including 20 games - that I never really play, no videos and I gave 7 GB free. This I use for music when playing them over iTunes Match, photos (although photos are cleared after uploading to Dropbox) and my videos. I also use Google Play streaming which saves space too. IMO 16GB is enough for me for an iPhone, I would never dream of getting a higher capacity phone. iPad though I tend to use 32GB as the high end games are larger - plus better to play on a larger screen - this is the only reason I buy 32GB as my set up is the same as my iPhone. In the cloud era, to me, space is not important on the device as it once was. Enjoy!

5. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I've always had a 16gig phone and never had a problem. Then again I don't need my whole CD collection with me at all times.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've always had 32GB phones unless 32GB wasn't available, then it was the highest I could get. 32GB is my sweet spot but with iCloud, I wondered if I could get by. Using my 32GB iPhone only, I figured out I could not. Photos and apps alone filled up fast. As the phones get more powerful so will the apps and that requires space. It is laughable to me that 16GB is still the base.

So OP, many can likely get by with 16GB, but I personally cannot.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone 5 was the first iPhone I opted for the 32GB, and I'm really happy I did. I had to sacrifice too much of music library when I had a 16GB iPhone.

As I stated, everyone is different, and app selection has an impact as well. Some apps are downright huge but if they're needed then you have to suck it up and keep them there. The extra space on my 32GB iPhone is great and I'm not trying to make you feel bad OP, but I think you'll miss it.

8. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

With iPhone (or iPad), I always say go for more storage, not less. If you think you need 16, get 32. If you think you need 32, get 64. I'm noticing apps taking up GB of space nowadays. That's before HD video, music, photos, etc.

9. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I've always gotten away with 16GB of storage without any issues. I don't keep much music or videos on my phone thanks to streaming music and video services. My photos don't take up much room. As I stand in line for a 5S I have 8+ free gigs of service on my phone!

10. Curun macrumors 6502

Curun

Everyone's use is different.

I have 142apps, 10 are games.
    92 songs, (3 playlists)
    674 photos
    1 small 30s video
    and 3.6GB free.

Yes, I shuffle things into the cloud. Most of my photos, after a trip, I organize to albums and offload. I keep only a few playlists I would use when relaxing with a book/working. So I swap around and it's not been an issue.

You have to keep your device reasonable tidy. Realize I use a loose definition of 'tidy'... as even 142 apps doesn't put me close.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Whilst usage varies, I really couldn't get buy with 16GB, but my Fiancee is happy with that amount of space...I usually keep around 15GB of music on my phone before I put any apps on it at all. 32GB seems fine for me, I had a 64GB 4S but didn't use up half of it so I've stuck with 32 this time around too.

I guess if you use your phone for books and movies then you'd need that extra space, but we have a media server so our movies live on that and are streamed via ATV's...not a movie on my current 5 at all.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Don't you use iTunes Match or Google Play for music? Saves you are lot of space...would you ever need more than say 5GB of music on your device at any one time?
    I feel "important" apps are never large - games are large - and not important in my eyes like say, banking or bills apps, travel, social networks.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, never signed up for it. Part of the reason is I listen to my phone while commuting and in the subway I have no cell coverage. I'm liking the iTunes Radio, though I was using pandora as well.

14. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

For me the phone is never the issue, but my ipad gets a bit crowded at 16GB.

15. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

You are are in a pickle. :cool:

16. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I did 16 GB for the 3GS and 4....and was severely constrained. Went to 32 GB with the 4S, then have stayed there with the 5 and now the 5S....

I would probably be at 64 if iTunes match wasn't there, but I'm at 5 GB free right now on my 5, though I could clear another 5GB in apps without much thought.

However, everyone is different. I couldn't deal with 16GB right now...I'd just have to delete far too much. 64 would be nice, but it's not really necessary for me....for others it may be.

17. Kendo macrumors 68000

I went from 16GB my whole life (3GS and 4S) to a used 64GB iPhone 5 this past week and I will never go back to 16GB ever again. 32GB will be my minimum requirement.

There is something soothing about knowing I will never run out of space. Granted when on contract it seems like you are paying double, but in overall terms of unsubsidized price (the actual cost), going from 16GB ($650) to 64GB ($850) only costs 23.5% more to quadruple your space.

My advice? Return the 16GB and wait a week (or two) to get a 32GB and enjoy the benefits for the next two years. I think a two week headache is worth the next two years.

18. 617aircav Suspended

My current phone is the HTC one 64gb. I opted for the 16gb no problems. I have so much much music that I dont listen too on it. I have movies I've watched on it. I have games I dont play on it. Just because I can. I will not keep any videos on the iphone.

19. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

To me, 16G is too restrictive. One has to closely and constantly manage and move around stuff. I've had 32G for yrs now as I don't classify myself as a power user; just an everyday average user.

When I was trying to backup my phone to the iCloud through iTunes, I had to call the CSR and found myself taking everything off and putting it on my desktop.

Too much for me

20. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Can't wait to it comes to the UK! Looking forward to trying it out.

21. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm the opposite with my iPad.

22. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

16 gigs is too little. 32 at least for me, and I'm still considering 64 as well, even though I have iTunes Match. I mean, the 1080P videos alone on this thing are gonna eat huge amounts of space up, and every game I get seems to be a gig nowadays.

23. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Same here.

16GB is more than enough. Hell, I wish they had a 8GB option for $100 cheaper as I would do that instead! :eek:

Never had a need for 2000+ songs on my phone. A good couple of hundred + iTunes radio/Pandora should do the trick just fine :)

24. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Big mistake. You should exchange it for the 64GB.

25. fossen macrumors member

Personally, I've been happy with the 16 for a few generations now. Between Spotify and iTunes Match, I don't need much room for music ... and Photo Stream means I've got all pics off the phone basically immediately. I can only play so many games in active rotation, and try to clear off apps I consistently find myself not using.