Getting kernel panics all of a sudden. Any way to find out why?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by definitive, May 20, 2015.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I've been having kernel panic on my MBP for the past couple of weeks (happened about 3-4 times). Did a clean 10.10.3 reinstall, and after about five days it crashed again.

Is there anything I should look for in the report (which I submitted to Apple) that could provide some clues as so what's causing this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Are you able to post one or two of the reports? You may want to redact personal information like usernames and serial numbers.

3. definitive, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015

definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

Here's an example of two:

http://pastebin.com/W8agm4uW

I didn't paste the loaded kexts/hardware part.

the system is a 2012 15" cmbp with nvidia 650m and i7 2.3ghz cpu.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It has been removed from that site. Please post the full contents onto MacRumors.

5. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

Fixed the link. It should be working now.

6. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Post the rest of the report that includes the loaded kexts.

7. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do you have any USB devices connected? It appears that a USB device, either external or internal, is causing problems.

9. lun macrumors newbie

10. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

I don't use any USB devices on this MBP, especially not after reinstalling OSX.

Found the same exact thread last night after browsing through Apple's discussion forums, and it's pretty much what I'm experiencing, including the flickering. From what I've read, it might be an issue with Intel 4000 graphics drivers, but I'm not 100% sure. My desktop doesn't experience the same issue, though it uses an AMD GPU, and I have USB devices connected to it...

The most recent kernel panic was on a clean install of 10.10.3 which I got off of the App Store. For the moment I've gone back to a clean 10.10 install, since it was the only version I've backed up before making a 10.10.3 installer, and then updated with 10.10.2 Combo.

One person in that thread mentioned installing 10.10.4 beta, and still had the same issue.

Hopefully it's nothing hardware related, because I only have a month left on my Apple Care, and don't know if my credit card (with which I purchased this system) will cover the 4th year like they mention in their agreement.

11. lun macrumors newbie

Probably.

No problems with the latest beta though...if someone is experiencing this kind of trouble I'd advise an update if possible.
    A clean install "downgrade" to earlier versions seems to be working fine as well (10.10.2).

12. definitive, May 21, 2015

definitive

So you recommend I try the latest 10.10.4 beta?

Would going to 10.10.4 final from beta (when it's released) simply require me downloading the update from the App Store?

edit: I've checked through the Apple thread again, and the user who mentioned that 10.10.4 (page 7) didn't fix his/her flickering/panic issue installed the version released on or after May 11th.

13. lun macrumors newbie

Well, I'd have chosen 10.10.2, if I had a choice. The PB was the only possibility for me. Fixed it. At least the crashing.

Did you ever do a safe start? Can fix a couple of issues as well. Especially after installing updates.

As long as you stay on 10.10.3 you'll probably not be able to avoid those crashes. I tried everything else. Nothing worked. Waste of time.

14. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive

I haven't tried safe start, because I don't think that would change anything. I may as well try the 10.10.4 beta, because it's gonna be the next update anyway, and if I have an issue with it, then I might have more luck reporting it than through something like Apple's bug report website, which I don't think anyone really looks much at anyway...

15. definitive, May 21, 2015

definitive

Ok, installed 10.10.4, rebooted, and got a kernel panic as soon as I tried launching apps:

http://pastebin.com/nfHdnGtY

Submitted the report, and also included the link to the Apple site's thread. Hope someone looks at it.