Getting my 5s replaced out of warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by misteryjay, Dec 23, 2014.

1. misteryjay macrumors newbie

Dec 22, 2014
    Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice.

Ive owned my 5s since September 2013, never having any issues with it. On sunday, I stopped getting cellular data signal, so I switched the phone off and back on again in the hope it would come back - from that moment i've had the infinite boot problem, with a flashing red screen followed by the white and black apple logo screen. DFU and recovery mode didn't work.

So I rang apple last night as I couldn't find much info online about the problem, I was on the phone to them for over an hour. I managed to speak to a senior supervisor and she very kindly approved me to have a free replacement phone, despite the fact that i'm 82 days out of warranty - which I was very happy about. I've booked a genius bar appointment for this evening to make the switch.

It dawned on me as I laid in bed last night, that back in october of this year, I'd noticed that my screen was rather scratched, as it had spent a year in my pocket (I work outside, so it gets a fair amount of wear in my pocket). I remember looking around to try and find the best deal on screen repairs, so I got a company in my area to replace it, as they were cheaper than apple and I was out of warranty.

I didn't dream that 2 months later I would be offered a free replacement by apple, hence why I didn't mind getting a company other than apple to change the screen for me. Now i'm worried that i'll go along to the genius bar appointment and they'll refuse me the new phone because I had a third party change the screen, despite the fact I was out of warranty already.

Does anyone know if this kind of thing will be an issue?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Jul 24, 2009
    Wouldn't worry about it. If the AppleCare rep marked your device for swap then they will just swap it out no fuss
  3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
    While the aftermarket screen technically voids your warranty and your eligibility for a replacement, they probably won't care too much because all returned iPhones are refurbished with a brand new screen anyway (along with a new battery and outer shell) to go in the white boxes.
  4. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree with what the others said. It's already approved. They'll look at it just enough to know the phone wasn't abused and then swap it out.