Getting my first Mac, tips for proper care/setting up/getting the best out of it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SkriBlerLenZ, May 14, 2012.

1. SkriBlerLenZ macrumors newbie

Hey folks.

Finally taking the plunge and entering the world of Macs. I'm getting a MacBook Pro, and yes, I know the Ivy Bridge refresh is coming "soon", but I can't wait any longer :p (that, and I need an Optical Drive built in (use it a lot. Don't want to carry around another 'peripheral'...))

So, while I'm waiting for the Postie to deliver it to me, I'd thought I'd ask for some tips for a Newbie Mac Owner.

I've looked over every article and video over at the Apple site, but would just like as much information to make the transition and "set up" as smooth as possible. And also of course to maximize the life of this rather 'spensive computer.

Thanks in advance :D

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe this can help, as it contains also information about battery usage and such often asked topics:
    To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:
    [​IMG]

3. SkriBlerLenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm currently reading that now. Was just wondering if anyone as anything else they'd like to share :D

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Well congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of Apple. Now that thats said be prepared to open to open your wallet as your going to realize there is always "something" you need. lol.

Getting setup is actually a breeze the Lion step by step is really really quite simple. All you have to do is input your required info and boom after a few prompts and screens your all set to go. A few things that your going to want to do is get yourself some useful apps. Which I will recommend below:

I would recommend either MS office or iWork. iWork is like apples version of office and it includes pages, keynote and numbers. Pages is your word, keynote is your powerpoint and numbers is your excel. I actually like iWork better as its Mac native and has some nice little built in features.

Now that your got sue office equipment everything else is up to you, setting up wifi is done in the initial setup. All you have to decide is what programs you want. If your into photo editing or video editing new Macs come with iLife which has iPhoto iMovie and garageband. They are all very use friendly and easy to figure out for beginners. If your into more advanced photo editing then I would recommend Aperture its a natural progression from iPhoto and perfect for someone who needs more than iPhoto but not a photoshop suite.

Other than getting your programs and what not setup the rest is up to you. You bought the machine now you've got to make it your own! Depending on what your previous machine was it may be easy or difficult to transfer your data over including iTunes. What type of machine were you previously using?

5. BustedVisaCard macrumors newbie

I just got my new MBA 13" (better screen than the pro, otherwise I would have gone that route).

So Im in the same boat as you! So far though, I love my new Mac. While its interesting to go from Win 7 to OS X it's also fun to "learn" new things.

6. icespace macrumors newbie

Take a little time on reading http://www.apple.com/support/lion/
    Another great place is "System Preferences->Track Pad".
    Enjoy.

----------

One tip for new one:

If you can't find a menu item for any app, try clicking help and input what you want to do.

7. SkriBlerLenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I was wondering how setup would work :D

As for Office, I use that a lot on my Windows machine, so bought the Mac version of it with my Mac (getting it from a reseller, they had a 1 user option available :D ).
    I have looked at iWork, but decided Office was the best option for me :) Thanks for the advice though!

The actual main reason I bought this Mac was because my current computer doesn't run CS5 [standard] properly. So, instead of buying a new 'PC', I made the 'ultimate upgrade' ;)
    I've also purchased CS6 for mac at the education pricing. I'm a heavy photoshop user :D

Yes, I've been wondering that. My current system is a Dell Windows Laptop. I have an external hard drive, and all the files I want to keep moved into a folder on my desktop.
    I also have a lot of apps downloaded with iTunes for my iTouch. Is it possible to move their files in the iTunes "folder" on the PC to the Mac, then be able to use them when I register iTunes with my account?

Also, anything else I should know about transferring files?

----------

The Air is one sexy beast (my friend's mum has it. Man, it's tiny!!); but I needed the extra 'power' and also the inbuilt Optical Drive (use it so much I don't want to fiddle with a USB one).

Is it everything they promised it to be? Switching from 'PC' to Mac I mean :D

----------

Thank you :D Added that to my growing list of tabs :p

And I'll keep that it mind :D

8. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

honestly, you aren't going to notice a huge difference. Between windows and OSX, I find almost no difference. Sure they look different, work a little different under the hood and have some different features. But realistically, it's a Window-based GUI on top of a file system.

If you're not a power user, you'll pick it up instantly and be able to use it because it's similar to windows and other OSs. If you are a power user, you'll have to learn new commands to use in the terminal. That's it.

9. SkriBlerLenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Would like to point out that that's an Apple based GUI stolen by Windows :)

That's a bit of a pity though, if they really aren't that different. Though in terms of stability, is it a lot better so far?

I'm a... semi power user. Maybe even total, not sure lol. Most defiantly not a "where's the internet!?" user x] (go Firefox!...).

Even so, I'm quite fed up with Windows. I'm hoping a Mac will brighten my outlook on computing.

10. BustedVisaCard macrumors newbie

Yeah I noticed the switch to be kinda complicated.

Put it this way.. Playing Xbox then going to PS3. Same setup, different layout.

It's not like going from a blackberry to an iPhone (VERY SIMPLE).

I love the gestures though. Swiping the fingers together makes it feel so much easier to navigate between desktops, and scroll up and down pages.

The file system looks to be there, just a different layout so what you're used to looking for, is labeled different or not even there.

Regardless, it's not impossible. It's just trying to kill off the old habits. And I already know I'll be keeping my MBA.

I wanted the MBP but the optical drive..can't remember last time I used that. Plus I'm not sure how it'll play out - Apple is deleting it. And they are doing it because they will support other means it looks like. Plus lets be honest, thumb drives are going to be like CD/DVDs.... so I'm not worried so much about such drive.

But again, I would have gone pro, if the screen quality was like the MBA. I actually prefer the size of the MBP - Less likely to drop it (or so it seems)

11. SkriBlerLenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never own either of those consoles, so I'll just take your word for it :p lol

If the file setup and whatnot is anything like iTunes, then I think I'm going to love it :cool: But agreed, I imagine it will take awhile to shake some habits. Especially since I've been using Windows since... Windows 95? Forget now. At least 4 versions lol, excluding Vista (ugh. that was bad enough temporally using it on my friend's PC :mad: ).

Sadly for me no optical drive is a not an option. I don't have the luxury of "fast internet" or enough bandwidth/download/whatever to download applications instead of installing them via CD.
    And all my Sims 3 EPs/games + Adobe software is on CDs, so they take priority :)

I'm getting the Widescreen glossy upgrade option (don't need Anti-Glare as I'm in a light controlled room most of the time), and after that an external monitor (once there's not such a big hole in my pocket x] ).

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Pamper it with a candlelight dinner during a full moon by the seashore.

13. macrominnie macrumors member

For maximizing the MBP lifespan you might consider:

The HDD is a vulnerable point. The magnetic drives are sensitive to impacts. Even when cared for well, the HDD will fail eventually. SSD's withstand drops better but their lifespan is not necessarily assured either. Make sure whatever backup system you use is good. The data is the most valuable thing in the machine.

If you live or work in hot rooms, pay extra care to ventilating/cooling the machine.

Get a good case that you will use.

If you don't like to upgrade Macs frequently, when you get envious of better performance of the newer models, swap out the HDD for an SSD with good specs and more RAM. Eventually, there will be affordable Thunderbolt add ons that will add features.

If you work frequently in one place, consider using a good external monitor. Even with better screens in the new MBP's, the external monitor's better screen real estate will be appealing no matter what. The IPS (better overall than TN) LED screens are more affordable recently . The Apple TB or ACD displays are pricey but 27 inch displays aren't cheap. A 22 to 24 inch display is a big jump from a laptop screen.

14. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

MS made the GUI work after apple couldn't make it appeal to the masses. Apple has since improved upon it.
    The desktop paradigm is stale though. That's why I think iOS is doing so well and why MS is taking the direction they are with windows 8.

Stability is very similar in both OSs. I find OSX recovers better after an application crash whereas windows can sometimes come crashing down. On the other hand, if something outside the sandbox goes wrong in OSX, you are going to be rebooting...no chance of recovery.

15. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

And Apple "stole" from Xerox. Even though they had an agreement with each other, though, it wasn't an agreement to steal the GUI.

16. SkriBlerLenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

rofl Only problem is I don't live near a beach. ;)

17. Medic278, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You should be able to transfer them pretty easily actually. I did it via an external HDD. What I did that you may want to consider is trading you HDD for an SSD and adding 8GB of RAM for what you do. Since your a photo guy the SSD and RAM makes rendering much much faster. I then put my old HDD into a Black Widow external hub (which brings me back to iTunes) you can then use it as an external drive and put your old tunes library on it and transfer it over. Which is pretty easy to do, just add the file hook up the drive select add to library in iTunes and select the folder from your external drive. If you library is small enough you could even use a usb flash drive or an SDXH or SD card.

I also use photoshop, I have the cs5 extended suite and I can tell you that it runs flawlessly on the MBP. Its great before I had my MBP I had a Vaio S series and I can say that my MBP runs cs5 much much better than my vaio ever did.

After doing photo work for so long I got interested in editing home movies. You may want to take a look at iMovies it really is easy to use and you can do some pretty cool stuff to your home movies and make them more enjoyable. After a while though I graduated to final cut pro and to be honest editing movies might even be more fun than editing photos because of all the cool special effects and title screens that you can add. I highly suggest you at least check out iMovie otherwise you'll be missing out on a lot.

Also finding your files is much easy on my in my opinion its all in finder. Just choose a location or you can even search which makes it that much simpler. No more endless clicking through file after file after file just to find one item in windows. Finder really is your friend.

Overall your going to be very happy with your MBP. OSX is just a much better and logical way of doing things plus, everything just works. There is also no crashing or forever hitting ctrl+alt+delete. Your going to be really surprised at how much better the mac way of doing things is.

I just read your getting a monitor. I run an external display off my MBP. Let me recommend 4 things for you. First off is a stand for your MBP it keeps it elevated which protects it from spills and keeps it at eye level, however and more importantly it allows for much better airflow so your MBP runs much much cooler, especially when your doing some intense photo work. Second and Third are the apple wireless keyboard and the magic mouse. The keyboard is for obvious reasons, it just makes life easier. I have the magic mouse because I can still use gestures and it is far more accurate than the trackpad is, plus its nice to look at and fun to use. I would also get the Wacoom Bamboo tablet. I picked up mine from the apple store for $99 and it included photoshop elements (although you have cs6) its a nice tool to have for photo editing and allows for pin point accuracy.

18. SkriBlerLenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I'll keep that all in mind :)

I'm thinking of getting a sleeve, since I have a custom "hand bag" (actually it's more like a backpack :p) that is big enough to hold all my techno stuff (or will be when I finish it... hehe).
    Know of any you'd recommend???

As soon as I get some cash saved up again, I'll be buying an IPS monitor (Photoshop really doesn't like 15 inch screens! x] ).

I've been looking at the Asus "Pro Art" ones OR the Dell Ultra Sharps. Any recommendations here?

Thanks again :D

----------

I personally prefer the distinction between "desktop" and "mobile". But anyhow :)

Sometimes!? lol Even on the rather new and powerful family PC, you click something "too fast" and even "alt-ctrl-del" (or ctrl-shift-esc as I have to use now) fails >_>

I'll be careful with that. Promise ;)

19. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I actually just picked up a great Thule case from the Apple store. Its a nice rubberized hard shell with a slot inside for the MBP and then a divider that allows you to store the power adaptor and other stuff. It has had holds and a includes a shoulder strap if you want one. Do you have any other questions?

20. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Not sure what you mean? Are you saying Windows always crashes? That's a gross exaggeration. I find crashes within each OS equal, that is to say, almost never. I'm a programmer, so most of my crashes are self-inflicted.

21. SkriBlerLenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!

Haha that's photo girl ;)

I actually specced the RAM out to 16gb. Would've been a bit cheaper to get 3rd party and go DIY, but not enough to warrant waiting for it coming from the states (I'm in Australia) plus the chance of voiding the warranty (we have strange laws).

Concerning iTunes - I already own an external hard drive. However, it's formatted for Windows. If I use it to transfer files from the 'PC' to Mac, will the Mac reformat it before actually "accepting" it, or can I use it like a "super USB drive", and then format it for the Mac later so as to use it for backups again (doesn't matter if it wipes the drive at that stage, since it's just like a copied hard drive (plus some ancient versions of files that I've never needed)).
    Also with the iTunes Library, that's just the "iTunes" or whatever it's called folder in the "Music" folder, correct? Thanks for giving the instructions how to transfer it! I probably would've had to spend a bit of time figuring that out myself :p

And LOL I'm pretty sure my Library is NOT small enough :p At least, not for the normal 8Gb USBs/SD cards (or at least, the ones I own x] ).

Also, SSDs look (speed wise. not the physical component :p ) amazing, but for the minimum size I need (even if just Software and the OS) too expensive right now :)

I'll wait till I start thinking about upgrading, then be like "OMGH super fast computer really cheap!" lol

That's excellent to hear! I've heard lots of rumours about Adobe stuff running better on Macs, but wasn't sure if I should believe them :p I'm rather excited about CS6, especially Photoshop. I was going to get the step up from Design Standard, but really I don't need all the Flash/Fireworks software or the 3D capabilities of Photoshop Extended. So just stuck with the Standard :)

I've been rather eying off iMovie! (especially after using Windows Movie Maker... well isn't that a joke! >_> ). But did you know Photoshop (CS6?) now has video editing across the board (ie. both extended and standard)? It's also all cross-platform now. Finally.

Also do you use/know about Garageband?

That's what I'm really hoping :) I can basically "touch type" alt+ctrl+del now, lol.

Awesome, I was wondering if a stand was worth it. Will defiantly get one now :) (well, when I get some more cash saved up and buy a monitor, hehe).

I actually own a really nice Logitech Illuminated [wireless] Keyboard, and even though it's a Window "layout" (still QWERTY but obviously ALT instead of option and what not), I'm hoping I can get away with keeping it?
    You can reformat the keys right? So like, assign Option to Alt, Command to Ctrl, and Control to the Windows key... I think.

The Magic Mouse sounds cool :p If I'm ever somewhere where I can try one out, I will. Otherwise I'll keep using my Logitech mouse, because all my Logitech products talk to the Computer via the cute little unifying receiver (and I have a USB hub so extra ports isn't a problem :) ).

Wacoms are amazing aren't they?! I actually bought an intuos4 not long after getting CS5 (I do Digital Art as well as photography). I could have got the Bamboo, but the intuos had more of the features I wanted, and I wouldn't have to upgrade once I became more comfortable with CS5 (which I did, and am really glad I have the better tool now).

But yes, they are amazing even for photography. Very worthwhile investment. Just like the Mac ;)

And yeah, I have all this "Element" software sitting on a disk unused :p Maybe I could give it to my friend... though the included brushes and whatnot were nice :D (even though I use mainly ones from DeviantART. Awesome place that).

Thanks so much for your lengthy reply! It's been very helpful :)
    I just finished actually transferring the money for my MacBook Pro, so it's officially on it's way! *yay*

----------

Oh, cool, that sounds awesome. Will look that up now :D

Not at the moment, no. Thanks :)

----------

Not all the time, no. Just many a headache that I think are unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, Windows 7 is, IMO, the best OS Windows have done yet. It looks good, has a nice layout, and works rather well. But it still doesn't have the same... "nice" feel that OS X does (and I've used my friend's Macs before. They're a dream).

We don't download anything "stupid", use all store bought products (ie. don't pirate), and have a good quality anti-virus running on all computers. And, even with regular defrags, disk cleanups, updating, and etc, all computers (even the super new one) still crash at least three - five times a day.

Even if it's just "[Program] Not Responding". It happens a lot, too much IMO.

22. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

I actually did not know that adobe had movie editing software. I will have to check that out. I am using CS5 extended. You should so check out i Movie still because its a ridiculously simple interface that a child would be able to figure. Making any type of media on the Mac is fun because the programs are so much more compatible and you don't have to stress constantly saving your work for the inevitable freeze that is going to happen. Since you like editing so much you should check out Aperture. Its a great program to have in the shed so to speak. Its not has in depth as say photoshop but the way it organizes photos is amazing and its perfect for some less intense edits and then to store your final product in because again the way it stores media is really cool.

Once you mess around with iMovie you may get hooked. I did. I ended up picking up Final Cut Pro and if it turns out that you like editing movies too then this program is definitely worth looking at. FCP is basically the graduate to iMovie, its more intense and allows you to work with full 1080p footage but its still a great tool. There is almost nothing you cannot do with this software so if you can think it you can pretty much do it. I really like making my home movies on here because the final product is so nice. Again though this is definitely a pro program but in user level and price so if your happy with iMovie then you maybe well to stay with iMovie.

As far as iTunes goes I know that there is a format type that you can use that will allow both windows and Macs to access the drive. What that format type is is escaping me right now. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself will jump in here......If not just google it and you should be able to find it, I know its out there and can be done. So you should have any problem getting your iTunes over.

To be honest I never really go into audio. So I really can't tell you much about garageband. Although from what I hear its a really nice program and generally gets great reviews if that helps any.

Also I believe you can reformat logitech keyboards for command.

Enjoy your new Mac and let us know if you have anymore questions we generally have answers!

23. SkriBlerLenZ, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

SkriBlerLenZ thread starter macrumors newbie

If you're using the extended CS5, then it should have it. All versions of Photoshop in CS6 have the movie editing, so now really the only difference between Standard and Extended is the 3D capabilities (plus a few other things).

I do plan to :D I'm not going to have all this nice software sitting around and not use it ;)
    I've heard a lot about Final Cut Pro. Though I do prefer still photography to well, videography I guess, so we'll see :)

Does Aperture come with iLife/Mac? I have heard quite a bit about it too, though if it doesn't come 'bundled' so to speak, then I probably won't buy it for awhile. I'm kind of excited to experiment with CS6's new Blur Filters and new cropping and stuff, though it Aperture does sound good for just like, exposure tweaking or whatever.

About the storing/managing of photos, have you used Bridge? It comes with all 'Suits' I believe, and even just Photoshop. I never really fiddled with it till recently, but it is AMAZING (sadly a bit slow on my rather under-specced computer. But that's the hardware, not the software :D ).
    The interface is clean and easy to navigate. All the controls for opening/moving/saving files are easy to find/use, and I love its "Preview" feature (select a bunch of photos, hit Ctrl+B (Or Mac equivalent ;) ) and then use the Arrow Keys to cycle through and remove the photos you don't want to get to the ones you do. Really nice).

But yes, I will defiantly give Aperture a look at. ^_^

Thanks for that! I'll do a bit of Googling to find out. Thankfully I can wipe the drive after use and format it completely for Mac, since I'm not using it as a sort of, spill over holder. But for transferring I'll of course need the Mac to read it, not write it! :p

That's also good to hear. I can't wait to try it out :D

I can't imagine why you couldn't, that'd be rather bizarre >_>.

Thank you, I intend to! :D