Getting my Macbook Pro replaced... have some questions? Kind of new to this.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entraik, Jan 22, 2009.

1. entraik macrumors 6502a

Ok so basically I bought a macbook pro back in march.. lately i've been having tons of problems with it.. i sent it in numerous times and all those problems still exist with the laptop. I called them up today, and the guy told me he could send me a brand new replacement laptop.

My original specs:
    2.5 ghz
    2 gb of ram
    geforce 8600 512 mb ram

replacement :
    brand new

2.4 ghz
    2 gb
    geforce 9400 +9600 gm 256 mb of ram

now shouldn't i be getting the mid spec range. My original laptop I bought had a much higher cost value then the base line replacement they are getting to me. Now this doesn't sound fair to me.... I know I'm getting a brand new laptop, and that's cool and all, but why should I get lower specs? Also, the dude told me to buy a brand new warranty with the laptop instead of transferring over my original warranty (which ends June 2011). Should I buy a new warranty?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree that it doesn't seem fair to replace your MBP with one with lower specs. You might call back and talk to someone else and complain about that... they may bump the RAM to 4GB for you, which would be a big improvement. As for the AppleCare, they should transfer your remaining coverage to the replacement unit. Insist on that! I wouldn't buy a new APP. That's the normal procedure when a defective item is replaced under AppleCare.

3. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

once my warranty runs out in June 2011, I'm basically stuck with my laptop as is? I can't ever renew warranty or upgrade it?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're confusing the Apple Limited Warranty with the AppleCare Protection Plan. The Warranty is only for the first year. The optional APP extends the coverage to 3 years. After 3 years, you cannot extend any coverage from Apple.

5. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

so since im gettin a new macbook pro.. wouldn't it be better just to buy it without any apple care right now or without transferring my existing warranty.. and before the 12 months are up for the limited warratny.. buy the applecare for it then?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your current coverage ends in 2011, that means you have already bought AppleCare. If they're replacing your MBP, then you aren't buying one. It doesn't make sense to flush the remaining 2 years of coverage that you already paid for. Transfer your remaining AppleCare coverage to the new replacement MBP.