Getting my v 2,2 MBA 2.13 GHz with SSD tomorrow afternoon! I will report back then.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Scottsdale, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I was told that the local Apple stores will have the new MBA tomorrow. I was also told that if I setup a personal shopping appointment, the manager would hold one high end MBA for my appointment... done!

So, I will report on the display tomorrow. Also will provide full review next weekend comparing it to a few other new Macs.

I guess if 20 people report their MBAs have lines in the morning, I will consider what to do then???

2. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

You making me nervous man. I am still waiting for mine to ship (no apple shop in my area) I will cross all my fingers that it will be flawless. Waiting for ur review.

3. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

What do you hope to learn from your review?

"Its just like the 1.8/128 Rev B Air, but with a little faster peak processor speed!"

There, I reviewed it for you, now you can spend the time just enjoying your new Mac. ;)

4. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Well, not so fast.

Sure the CPU boost is the main thing.

The GPU is now 6x the performance whereas it was 4x the performance before. Does this mean the GPU is maxed out now instead of limited???

Battery life supposedly gained 30 minutes of time between charges.

What I actually will be reviewing is the differences between the 13" MacBook Pro and the 2.13 GHz MBA with SSD, and the older 1.86 GHz MBA with SSD, and with varying RAM amounts in the MBP to show what programs need how much RAM and etc etc etc.

I hypothesize that I will still want the MBA because the RAM isn't needed. However, if the battery in the 13" MBP is truly a 7-hour battery, AND if the display is better, I may want to lug around an extra 1.5 lbs???

I enjoy this stuff. I am going to work on it with some friends. One of them is a techie, and I hope he has some great ideas on performance tests for them all. Some real world examples with me writing the whole thing at the end.

IF anyone is in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area and wants to do some of this with a group of Mac lovers, let me know. Also looking for other new/older Macs to review??? Anyone around area and want to share performance measurements of their Mac is welcome. So for me it's about fun not work. It's enjoyment to do this and REPORT my findings. I love sharing with others.

5. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

How are you enjoying your Palm Pre? Why no iPhone?

6. 929406 macrumors regular

Scotsdale your a gun! Keep doing what you enjoy as we all benefit from your experience. Wish I had the time to do it

7. snowboarder macrumors 6502

Please try to check the SSD model (has it changed since Rev B?).
    I think I might pick one up, just that stupid screen line issue is a turn off...

8. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Thanks! Looking forward to it...

9. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

Scottsdale,

I'm getting the 13 MBP tomorrow from Arrowhead. It will be interesting to see the difference as I have been a long time Air user. I sold my 1.86 Air last week for 2k. I smelled a rat and wanted an excuse to try out the the new MB screen.

I found the screen to be about 85-90 percent of the Air. It just still did not seem as saturated as the Airs. Anyways, I hope the GPU is untamed this time and they eased up on the throttling. That, coupled with better battery life would be an awesome machine.

BTW. I have a Pre and like it. Its no iphone, but I don't have to take it in the shorts come bill time like I did with AT&T. Plus, here in my neck of the woods, AT&T just plain sucks.

10. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

- AT&T is just not a good option in NYC. Their network is still tremendously overcapacity thanks to all the iPhone users! :) Try using data or even making a call at peak times and you are in for a painful, frustrating experience.

- I like keyboards.

- While I think the iPhone is aesthetically more beautiful the Pre is much more organic and pleasant to use. Thicker, more rounded body with a softer, warmer feel to it vs the colder, more squared off iPhone. (Think Pismo vs unibody Macbook Pro)

- Sprint is a much better value then AT&T even if they both gave equal service. (and in fact, AT&T's service is objectively worse despite their higher prices) I have 2 phones sharing a plan for less then I would pay for 1 iPhone with fewer features on AT&T.

I think the Pre has tremendous potential. It reminds me of the original EDGE iPhone in many ways. A new and carefully designed interface, some amazing features and some silly oversights and bugs that will be refined away over the next few months.

11. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Ok, one MBA opened, and one MBA 2.13 with terrible lines and 9C90 worthless display! My last MBA was 9C9A and had no lines. Why would Apple do this???

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Mine should arrive tomorrow in the mail. Hopefully it won't have a bad screen.

13. glitch44 macrumors 65816

Argh, that sucks, Scottsdale. You gonna take it back?

14. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Wow, even with Rev.C's the line issue still exists??! Go back immediately and get it replaced. That's just unacceptable.

15. h1d macrumors regular

Unbelievable man this is. Does the QA team got sunglasses on all day long?

16. Carl Abudephane, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  17. macinsomniac macrumors member

Hanging tight in anticipation of news from Scottsdale on his 3rd try. Is it a charm?

18. macinsomniac macrumors member

19. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

as much as it pains me to admit it, me too :cool:

20. sherthang macrumors newbie

4 tries-all lines

I'm at the 5th ave store and all 4 on display (2 x 1.86 & 2 x 2.13) all are 9C90 with lines

21. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Have not opened yet. Going to do a few things. Will report back tonight.

22. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

Give those on the east coast a break and bust it open!

23. PimpIntInxs macrumors member

Mine has lines too I just saw a picture of what they are and i looked real close and i saw them :(relatively faint... im afraid if i exchange... i might get a worse one?

am i crazy or is this screen just NOT that bright? and yes ive hit F2 all the way...

24. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Oh man, that just gets my blood boiling. I'm sorry Apple still hasn't fixed the problem. This is unacceptable. I hope you end up getting one without lines after an exchange.

25. Scottsdale thread starter macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Ok, umh it will not turn on! Seriously, I got a DEAD MBA! At least I don't have to think of what to do with it.