getting new iPhone without upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cody21, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I know this is a dumb question but I wanted be make sure. I am not eligible for upgrade yet, but I'll be pre ordering or reserving the new iPhone when it becomes available to do so. Will I be able to get the new iPhone by paying full price?

2. ToxicNirvana macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure you should be able to. I would call Apple on Sept 12th after the announcement just to make sure.

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You'll certainly be able to get it at full retail though I don't think you can preorder at that price--only subsidized contract extensions or new contracts, IIRC.

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I do not see why they would prevent someone from pre-ordering a phone at full retail... I know you cannot get a factory unlocked iPhone at initial launch, but that is different than just buying one without an upgrade

5. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

That follows what I recall as well. Apple direct won't do a pre-order, and the carriers only offer pre-orders for new lines or eligible upgrades. Best bet is to take the day before off work and camp the line at your closest store.

Hell, when the 4s came out we had a guy leave work the day before the release, wait at the Apple store in Pasadena and get one the next morning about an hour after they opened. Maybe you don't need to camp all day and night after all.

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

You could be right, but I do not see why they would prevent someone from paying full retail...

7. alexsfagundes macrumors newbie

I have the iPhone 3GS and I'm using the iOS 6 beta 4. I believe that the New iPhone have worth.

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Doesn't matter why, the preorder system previously hasn't allowed that option, plain and simple. I picked up an AT&T model for full retail a couple days after launch an my local Apple Store using the night before reservation system they implemented.

9. Cody21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cody21

So a full price iPhone is technically an unlocked iPhone?? And incase it matters, I have at&t. Another question though, lets take pre orders out of the question, will they let you reserve the phone then pick it up on release day and pay full price?