Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

denholmepetrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2005
Hey guys,

First post, long time reader. Just got my first Mac since the introduction of OSX - a 2x2.7 Power Mac G5 - and I'm incredibly pleased with it so far.

Anyway, I've managed to hook up the Razr to it with no problem via the USB cable, and it sync's fine with iSync, but is there a way to get my pictures off it? At the moment I'm still using my PC and the Motorola software for that. Thought I'd ask here since it's a popular phone and there's bound to be some posters who use it.

Thanks,

DP

denholmepetrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2005
For some reason the bluetooth doesnt pick up the phone - I heard there was a problem with this and certain Moto phones (?) - as it picks up other bluetooth devices fine.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
The V3 will work via Bluetooth as of 10.4. If you have the Bluetooth icon on your menu bar go to it and selct browse device. If it doesn't detect the phone go to preferences (making sure BT is turned on on the V3; it is off by default) and pair with your Powermac. Then repeat the browse device step. You should be able to browse the V3's picture folder.

Not tried sending from the phone yet as I've had no need to but you can browse and sync perfectly.

dr0wnoutthen0is

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2004
Palo Alto, CA
I have a Motorola Razr and my PowerBook picks up the phone just fine through Bluetooth. Did you go into the phone settings to turn it to Discoverable? It only stays discoverable for like 60 seconds, so you have to basically run the Bluetooth Device Assistant wizard thing up until it's ready to detect, then turn on the Bluetooth discoverability in the phone (Settings->Connection->Bluetooth Link->Setup->Find Me). Then let the Mac detect the phone. Once you have it connected, you can use the Bluetooth File Exchange (or whatever its called) app in Utilities to transfer pics and audio.

denholmepetrie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2005
hey guys - thanks! Got it going. :D

dr0wnoutthen0is, thanks for the for the phone, worked great.

manly

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2005
Woodland Hills, CA
more bluetooth file exchange problems & the RAZR

I've been able to sync my RAZR via iSync with no problems. I've also been able to get the RAZR to sync with Bluetooth File Exchange (sort of)... It makes it to the browsing window and it says its connected, but it hangs when I try to access the pictures directory. I can sometimes get to the audio folder (it only has two files), but it never connects to the pictures folder. Has this happened to anyone else... I've tried re-setting the phone a couple of times and still the same problems...

I've got about 20 pics in the phone... Is there a limit to an amount of files it can handle? This doesn't seem to excessive.

Any advice anyone can give would be great !

Is there a way to transfer files via USB on the MAC? I guess I can jump back on my PC but I'd rather not ...

THanks

--
manly

QFace

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2003
Calgary, AB
manly said:
I've been able to sync my RAZR via iSync with no problems. I've also been able to get the RAZR to sync with Bluetooth File Exchange (sort of)... It makes it to the browsing window and it says its connected, but it hangs when I try to access the pictures directory. I can sometimes get to the audio folder (it only has two files), but it never connects to the pictures folder. Has this happened to anyone else... I've tried re-setting the phone a couple of times and still the same problems...

I've got about 20 pics in the phone... Is there a limit to an amount of files it can handle? This doesn't seem to excessive.

Any advice anyone can give would be great !

Is there a way to transfer files via USB on the MAC? I guess I can jump back on my PC but I'd rather not ...

THanks

--
manly

I'm having the same issues... it originally worked fine, but recently I have been having the exact same problems as described above... please help!

tomkaters

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2005
Same problem

I have the exact same problem. The odd thing is that if you go to your pictures in the RAZR and hit the menu button, then hit move you can still move the photos from your phone to the powerbook. It is only problem when trying to browse them from the powerbook. It is really annoying

LiNk2600

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2005
Seriously Annoying

Regarding the loss of the ability to download pictures from the Motorola RAZR via bluetooth:

Alright, this is really annoying! I wonder why things worked well in the past and then all of the sudden we're having this issue. Is there an inexpensive temporary USB fix? In other words, is there a freeware or shareware app that will allow us to get the pictures off of our phones? Even better, is there a firmware update for our phones to fix this issue? If it's not an issue with the phone, are there other apps that will allow us to download files from our phones other than the built-in bluetooth menu? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer. :D

Andrman

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2005
Same deal here. Browsing the V3 RAZR used to work, and now it doesn't anymore. What changed?

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
Dpo you have to be running 10.4 to sync the razr v3 with a pbook via bluetooth?

I'm still running 10.3.9, and should be getting my moto this week.

ATRAX

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Cloudgazer said:
Dpo you have to be running 10.4 to sync the razr v3 with a pbook via bluetooth?

I'm still running 10.3.9, and should be getting my moto this week.

I was having the same problem getting pictures off of my V3 RAZR. Everytime I would connect and try to get the folder contents it would give me a "Operation failed: Bad request" error.

But then tried it on my old iMac G3 that had 10.3 installed and it works fine with no problems.

dxm113

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2005
Is your Provider Verizon?

If so, OBEX (BT File exchange) is crippled, and you cannot transfer files without hacking the phone. VZW's business model is to make you pay to use their network for media transfers.

I have a Moto e815, and OBEX works perfectly after I performed a seem edit (hack) on the phone.

Keep youre eyes on the Howard Forums for any info on hacks

Hope this helps

dxm113

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2005
Is your Provider Verizon?

If so, OBEX (BT File exchange) is crippled, and you cannot transfer files without hacking the phone. VZW's business model is to make you pay to use their network for media transfers.

I have a Moto e815, and OBEX works perfectly after I performed a seem edit (hack) on the phone.

Keep youre eyes on the Howard Forums for any info on hacks

Hope this helps

(PS you need iSync 2.1 on Tiger for the new BT phones to sync, or you can mess with the plist settings - search the Howard Forums)

(PSS damn busy server - been trying to post since 11:45 am central :mad: )

EDIT: SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST, DAMN BUSY SERVERS ;)

Neverrain

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2005
I'm having the exact same problem with my new Razr V3. Every now and then I can access audio or video but photos either says "Operation complete" but does not list my photos or "Last operation failed: bad request.".

It was working fine a few days ago now all of a sudden it's stopped. Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Thanks in advance,
-Julian Wilson

swimrat007

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2005
Lowell, MA
i think the problem is being solved

Hey everyone i have been having the same problem getting my pics from my razr to my mac via bluetooth file exchange. I keep getting the message , operation timed out, or bad request. I have reciently found a friend in mac's engineering dept, who also has the amazing razr, and they are taking a close look at the problem. hope to update with y'all with good results later!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kjk

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2005
OS 10.4.3 fixes problem

I was having the same problem getting files off of the RAZR with bluetooth. OS 10.3.9 continued to work, as did 10.4.0. Something in 10.4.2 had changed and I would get the directory listing of the phone but could not see the files. I updated to OS 10.4.3 yesterday and everything works fine now. Hope this info helps.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
This is an old thread, but maybe it will get a response. I just got a razr for xmas and have been having some troubles with it. im running OS 10.4.3 and i can get the razr to run well with iSync and i can use bluetooth file exchange to put music/pictures onto the razr, but i can not put (or get) any files from the phone to the computer. i dont really want to connect through USB to have to transfer files. i dont know why it wont work from the phone to the computer.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
ha, wow, i answered my own question with about 5 more minutes of playing around. in bluetooth file exchange the device type was set to phone (come on the razr is a phone!!!) but when i noticed iStumbler considered the razr a computer i changed the device type to computer and my razr showed up! and i was then able to browse and pull pictures or sounds off. (or anything else if i wanted to i guess!)

jackostrato

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2006
thanks guys

i thought i needed os 10.4 but the instructions that you gave actually worked like a charm with my ibook w/os10.3.9. i can now bluetooth pics back & forth. so now, can i bluetooth my address book and ical? isync won't detect through bluetooth(it works w/a usb cable) and bluetooth file exchange won't detect those 2 programs.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
I got an e-mail refering to this thread so I though I would include full instructions. yes, im bored, its thursday night and not quite time to head out to the bars, so i though id write this up.

This is all assuming you have bluetooth on your apple. I have not been able to get my PB to recognize the RAZR when plugged in through USB.

1)allow your razor to activate bluetooth
a)open the main menu on the phone
b) select Settings>Connection>Bluetooth Link>Set up
c) then select the first option of "Find Me" this will allow your razr to be paired with any bluetooth device for the next minute(about)

2) get your computer to recognize and pair with your phone. there are a number of ways to do this.
a)if you have a bluetooth icon on your menu bar click on it then select "Set Up Bluetooth Device" then follow the steps in the assistant if this works, skip to step 3
b) from the bluetooth icon on the menu bar click on the "Browse Devices. . ." option then under device type chose "Computers" or "All Types" then click search. (if you chose "Phone" for device type, then the computer will NOT find the RAZR, dont ask me why) if this works go to step 3
c) if you do not have the bluetooth icon in your menu bar then click the apple in the left hand corner then select "System Preferences" From this window click "Bluetooth"
i) On the "Settings" tab check the box next to "Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar" (this will allow you to do everything from the menu bar and step 3 will be much easier.
ii) in the Bluetooth window select the "Devices" tab then click "Set Up New Device. .. " this will bring up the Bluetooth set up assistant, just follow the steps there.
d) to make sure this step worked, go to Apple>System Preferences>Bluetooth>Devices and you should see your razr under the bluetooth devices

Now your phone and computer should be paired, so just make sure you phone is turned on and in range of your computer.
3) on the bluetooth icon on the menu bar select "Send File"
a) in the new window select the file to be sent. i know from experience .jpg and .mp3 will send fine, but remember by default your phone has 6 or less Mb free. Sot it is best to send scaled down pictures, or clipped music files (a 10 - 30 second clip instead of an entire song) click send
b) once you select a file a new window will appear and you should see your razr in the device box. if you do not, then make sure "device type" is set to "Computers" or "All devices" if it still does not show up, make sure step 2 worked!
c) select your razr then click send. \
d) the file should send at this point if all went well!

Advanced features!! A different way to send but also receive files from the device!
4) On the bluetooth icon in the menu bar select "Browse Device. . . "
a) your phone should appear here. if not, make sure Device Type is set to "Computer" or "All Types" (or go back to step 2 and make sure that worked)
b) click browse
c) you should be able to browse the "audio", "picture" and "video" files on the phone.
d) here you can send or receive files from the phone. again, be conscious of the size of the files you send.

I hope this works for you everything worked for me!

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
There is another option I use that I have not seen, and thought might work with other motorola phones. I'm running 10.3.9 and use a v265 with Alltel. Also, I'm using a USB cable model # skn6311B that should work with most motorola phones. It is possible to transfer photos and ringtones to and from the phone using the free software bitpim (bitpim.org). You need to have your computer setup up with the phone before you can do anything; if you can sync with isync you should be set up. Also, jsut in case, I use the driver found at http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/Verizon_Wireless_STD_Driver.hqx ; it goes in /library/modem scripts/. The quick directions on how to drag photos off is: In preferences choose the modem port 1181 and in phone type choose "other cdma phone." "view" the filesystems and the photos are stored in /motorola/shared/pictures. The trick is you must have the pictures you want off categorized on the phone. if you dont put them into a category you make up, it wont list them in the filesystems. i would suppose the v710 and razr have this option as well. If you want to put photos on the phone, just overwrite the existing ones with a photo that is no larger than 375 by 350 *of the same name*. If anyone wants to know how to do riingtones, just respond and ask. the directions are long, and it is semidangerous and time consuming if you want to manipulate the name. otherwise just overwrite the ringtones in the shared/audio file with midi files of the same name. i know this isnt too relevant to the post, but thought it might help, and I was rather excited yesterday when i found out how to do it, so i thought id post it when i saw this article.

jpipitone

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2004
Has anyone noticed that iSync only syncs data to and from the phone's internal memory? I originally had all of my contacts stored in my RAZR's SIM card, but iSync doesn't sync with the SIM card, only the internal memory (via bluetooth)

My contacts were duplicated, as the contents of my Address Book on my PowerBook were written on the razr's internal memory. When I viewed my address book on the razr, I now see all of the entries on the phone as well as on the SIM, therefore there are duplicate entries.

Does anyone know how to sync with the SIM?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.