Getting refurb tomorrow, how to backup contacts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kawasakirider, Jan 28, 2012.

1. kawasakirider macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I'm getting a refurb tomorrow, I just want to know how to backup contacts on a phone that I can't get into? The screen was crushed and the digitizer doesn't work, so I can't slide to unlock. The phone still works, I just can't get into it. Is there anyway to save my contacts with a backup?

Cheers!

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Do you have your last backup on the computer with which you sync?
    Will it still sync?

You can set up the new phone from our old phone's backup and all your info should be put on the new phone.

3. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I have an old back up on my computer, the thing is that it's a windows computer and for some reason whenever I try to sync, it gets halfway through and stalls (this is before I dropped the phone, lol). I'm pretty sure I have a backup on my GF's mac. So this will restore my phone with contacts when I get a refurb?

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

It should. Setting up from backup should essentially give you an exact copy of your entire phone.

5. vinathi, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

vinathi macrumors newbie

Answer

There are 2 ways:
    iTunes or iCloud.
    I prefer iCloud because it's wireless, but you can use iTunes. Just google "itunes backup" or "iCloud backup" for more instruction. Then when you get your new phone it'll take a sec to restore everything.

6. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a way I can do an iCloud backup without getting into my phone?

7. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

If you use a mac, you can go to system preferences and click on "iCloud" and then fill in your contacts manually by reading the contacts on your iPhone.

If you are using Windows or Linux, just go to www.iCloud.com and click on contacts and fill in that page.

I have a .me account and everything syncs smoothly from my account to my iPhone 4S after restoring it twice.

Not sure how'd you be able to backup your contacts without using your phone though. As long as you can access it, it'll work.

8. kawasakirider thread starter macrumors regular

Well I CAN'T access my iPhone, as the digitizer doesn't work (screen was smashed), but I went to icloud.com like you said and signed in and all my contacts were there! Does that mean I'll be able to sign in when I get my new phone this afternoon and voila, contacts will be available?

9. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

Yes. When you get your new phone... (assuming it's a refurb'd iPhone 4S on iOS 5), simply sync your iPhone 4/4S with your iCloud account and your contacts will be in your phone.

I know this because I bought an iPhone 4S a week ago, had a few problems and restored it two times yesterday. Synced with iCloud and all my contacts were in my phone!

And as a bonus, you can save all your contacts from iCloud onto the iPhone, so if you're not connected to iCloud for whatever reason, your contacts will still be on the hardware itself.