Getting replacement iPhone…

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Aug 9, 2015.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

Any recommendations on prep in regards to the Apple Watch? I'll be doing a complete iPhone backup before going to the store. Any insight on pairing the watch to the new phone without a loss of watch data, and to minimize my frustration?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If backing up to iTunes be sure and check Encrypted Backup.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I second doing encrypted backup if backing up to iTunes. This preserves your Health data and has the additional benefit of saving the wifi passwords so you don't have to re-enter them every time you get a new iPhone.

You can double check that the iPhone has a recent backup of your Watch by going to Settings > General > Usage > Manage Storage (under Storage) > Apple Watch. The iPhone creates a backup of it when you unpair the Watch.

4. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great tips, and I have already done that. Do you have to restore the Watch backup too? Or will it do that when I pair the watch to the new phone after doing the phone restore?

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

1. Unpair your Watch (this creates a backup of your Watch in iPhone)
    2. Back up your iPhone to iTunes
    3. Swap out iPhones
    4. Restore new iPhone from a backup in iTunes
    5. Re-pair your Watch to new iPhone and you'll be prompted to restore from your Watch backup or set up as a new Watch.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The watch backup is part of the iPhone backup, and will get copied to the new iPhone when you restore the phone. From there, when you pair the watch to the new phone, you'll be asked if you want to restore the watch from the backup or set it up as new.

7. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! This sounds like the way to do it when upgrading to a new iPhone in general, I'll remember to unpair the watch first. Then create a new iPhone backup on PC.