Getting replacement iPhone, will be without for 7 days?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brettuk, Sep 22, 2012.

1. brettuk macrumors member

Hi All,

I've just requested a replacement iPhone from Apple's website as the power button has seized up. They say they will pick it up, and then send me a replacement iPhone within 7 days?! Are they having a laugh? I don't have any spare phones, and my phone is my only phone line, how does Apple expect me to go without a phone for 7 days? Why can't they send me a new phone, and if I don't return the old phone within 30 days I get charged for the phone or something?!

Stupid. Not happy

2. ap105 macrumors regular

Just go to that Apple store they have replacement phones, if you can.

3. brettuk thread starter macrumors member

No where near an apple store though, so can't go in the week. I've booked a genius appointment next saturday, going to have to live without a power button until then though :/

4. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I called regarding the scratches already of the phone before I started using it and they said the same thing, but he also gave me an option at the end where they ship a new phone, take a deposit then refund it after the old phone is returned. So there is an option. They did also say it was $29 to replace the phone using that method but he could talk to a supervisor to get it waived. I got busy at work so I never finalized the exchange. But it's definitely an option.

5. Cardsfan85 macrumors newbie

I just got my iPhone 5 yesterday. Within minutes of activating the phone I started experiencing screen flicker. I am still trying to figure out the problem, but it seem to occur pretty regularly after several minutes of continuous use.

I called Apple and they told me that I would need to have my phone repaired. They said it would take 7-10 business days. They also mentioned the $29 option mentioned above.

I thought it was odd that they were treating this as a warranty repair even though it was defective right out of the box. I have never had any previous issues with Apple products, so I am not familiar with their processes. Normally, if I bought something and it was defective the moment I received it, I would expect to be able to exchange it for another new model free of charge.

Nice to know that the $29 can be waived though.

6. kunaalarria macrumors member

That sucks. For a quick alternative, you can go to settings, general, accessibility, and then select assistive touch. turn it on, and a button will pop up on the top left screen, just click device and you can access the lock button this way. Annoying and not too useful but if you really need it until then - that's an option.

7. brettuk thread starter macrumors member

Ironic though, as one of the main reasons I was so eager to buy the new phone was as the home button on my old iPhone 4 was broken, and was stick using assistive touch. Feel like I'm back to square one!