All iPads Getting rid of MBP, just use iPad (with Mac mini on TV). Doable?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeinJapan, Jan 19, 2011.

1. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Hey guys

I am thinking about getting rid of my MBP and just using my iPad and mini connect to my TV for things on the TV now and then. Has anyone dumped their computer for an iPad only set up?

I don't print and just surf the internet and the odd document here and there for school. I am a teacher. I need to scan so I need a real computer.

It seems a little early but I really do prefer the iPad.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How will you be able to scan, if you don't have a computer, just the iPad?

3. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

The mini as mentioned in the title of the thread and then again in the body of the thread? Did you read the post or scan it?

4. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Very doable.

I have a MacMini at home to act as my iPad's window into the wider world of computing. VNC is a wonderful thing. :)

5. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

Have you found any problems or irritations. I think I may sell the mini and move the laptop to the TV as I plan on moving in the future to another country.

6. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

No great problems. Maybe yearning for a real keyboard every now and then, but if you keep your MBP you won't have that problem...

7. OmegaRed1723 macrumors 6502

OmegaRed1723

I did it, though not by choice. The logic board on my '07 MBP died, leaving me with my iPad and headless Mac mini in the living room. So far, my day-to-day hasn't changed one bit. I use iTeleport to VNC into the mini when I need to, and I use a bluetooth keyboard with the iPad for heavier typing duties. Also, Dropbox is great for keeping certain files in sync.

8. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

Besides the odd thing I don't do too often I am finding it difficult to see why not to do it.

Which VNC app are you guys using?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes I did, I just misunderstood the title

10. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

VNC Viewer. Cheap, universal and does everything I need.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

but isn't VNC slower then using the RDP protocol (depending on the platform you're trying to access).

While a bit pricey, logmein ignition is faster then VNC, and there's a number of RDP compliant apps available as well.

12. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

There's no native support for RDP in OSX, but there is for VNC.

I should qualify this by saying that I haven't tried any RDP clients myself - they're bloody expensive and the devs don't seem interested in offering a free time-limited demo version to try out...

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have used logmein for the iPhone and it worked very well and was much quicker then vnc.

As for the platform, that's why I mentioned RDP is a good choice depending on the platform. Macs are not one of those.

Still I think the OP has options to investigate.

14. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I did it, happily and successful (see my signature...)

Continued improvements to iOS and apps has rendered the use of "anything else" less and less necessary over time, a trend I am sure will continue.

That said, I would wait for the iPad2 since you're situation isn't pressing...

15. MikeinJapan thread starter macrumors regular

I already have an iPad and wont be buying another. I will skip iPad 2 and wait for 3. I may want ipad2 but I don't need it at all.

16. baummer macrumors 6502a

Interesting that so many posters here didn't bother to fully read the OP. He clearly states that he has an iPad and a Mac mini already, and was asking if it was possible to forgo his MBP and rely soley on his iPad/Mac mini tandem.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think its his wording
    " and mini connect to my TV for things"

That does not communicate that he has a Mac Mini, to be honest, I didn't know what he meant by that but owning a Mac Mini was not one of those things

18. baummer macrumors 6502a

Again, goes back to reading and comprehension. Plus it's listed in his signature.

19. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

In your defense, it took me reading the title and the post a few times before it clicked that he was talking about a Mac mini.

20. jazziethomas macrumors member

Probably not a good idea at all it is still much better to have he MBP than the iPad alone but if you have another computer to use then you can sell your MBP, having computer has a big difference in having an iPad alone.

21. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I also didn't realize the OP meant a Mac mini. He didn't mention it very clearly in his post, I don't think it's a problem with reading comprehension.

Anyway, VNC is quite slow, but if your Mac Mini is connected to your TV, there are alternatives. Check out RowMote Pro. It turns your iPad into a large wireless Apple trackpad. Speeds are better than VNC as you're not streaming the screen to your iPad, which may not be necessary in your position.

22. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

+1. I love your sig btw, haha it's so true.

To the OP, I have been thinking of doing the same thing but right when the thoughts start coming, I realize that there are plenty of emails (videos) that I get that I couldn't play on an iDevice. Also, a real keyboard is much better for typing long things even just on forums. But if you have a Mac Mini, if you needed use for a computer you have it. So realistically you could get rid of the MBP or Mini, whichever you prefer. I'd probably go with the Mini just because the MBP is powerful enough, and portable.

23. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

As others pointed out, your implementation is very doable. Why not continue to use the MBP, put it in clamshell mode and hooked up to the TV? I think the miniDisplayPort cable is alot cheaper solution than buying a mac mini. Maybe I'm missing something.

24. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

iRAPP let's you do a trial with it... just tried it out when I was trying to figure out a solution to connect to a clam shell MBA (charging in a base station) with my Windows PC. It's a pretty nifty program, but didn't work for me as the computer has to be awake.

25. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

I use a handheld "wand" scanner with my iPad. Can use it anywhere anytime without a computer, it stores data on a micro-SD card, and I use the iPad Camera Connection Kit (and a micro-SD to SD adapter, or a USB cable) to read the images. Use the PS Express app for image adjustment.

[​IMG]