Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vawolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
I'm running Panther 1.3.6. I installed a copy of virtual PC I borrowed and it didn't run. Now I'm trying to install a different copy but it won't install. I think it's because there're still traces of the old copy, like when a trial expires and you try to install it again but it won't run. Is there something in Panther that's like the Windows registry, where I can go in and erase all traces that this software was previously installed? Thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
vawolf said:
I'm running Panther 1.3.6. I installed a copy of virtual PC I borrowed and it didn't run. Now I'm trying to install a different copy but it won't install. I think it's because there're still traces of the old copy, like when a trial expires and you try to install it again but it won't run. Is there something in Panther that's like the Windows registry, where I can go in and erase all traces that this software was previously installed? Thanks.
You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. Just go hunt down the VPC preference files in ~/Library/Preferences (where ~ is your home directory), trash them, and try again. I don't know what they're called, since I haven't used VPC in a while.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Try searching your entire hard drive for terms like virtual, PC, or virtual pc, and delete those.

Especially check in ~/library/preferences almost every program I've used likes to drop a .plist in there.

vawolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2004
Thanks!

musicpyrite said:
Try searching your entire hard drive for terms like virtual, PC, or virtual pc, and delete those.

Especially check in ~/library/preferences almost every program I've used likes to drop a .plist in there.

This was very helpful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.