Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should we do with the troll's (aka gocyrus)

• fry his hard drive

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Put up a mass block to all of his posts

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • ONLY allow him to read, but not to post any replies

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Kick him off, never to be allowed back for ANY reason

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have had enough of gocyrus with his peecee ads in here. If this is approved by the god arn, I submit a poll to the Mac faithful... What should we do to 'him'???

Fry his drive?

Put up a mass block to all of his posts?

Only allow him to read, but not reply to any post?

Kick him off, never to be allowed back for ANY reason?

I am going with option 4, but that is just me.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
The wise man always throws himself on the side of his assailants. It is more his interest than it is theirs to find his weak point. --Ralph Waldo Emerson ("Compensation" Essays: First Series)

Timo_Existencia

Contributor
Jan 2, 2002
Counterpoint...

Personally...I get so myopic at times that I like to have someone around to present the other side of the story.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
its creating controvercy
let it go for a while

I think he's BILL GATES in secret thought

resm

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
opposition is healthy

opposition on any level is healthy.

no opposition makes life boring....believe me I know all about that.....I live in Singapore :)

sometimes the Mac ohhhhhh this and the Mac ohhhhh that on this forum can become boring and unrealistic and is getting the taste of a religion.

so...a bit healthy opposition can't hurt as long as it does not become fanatism itself.

Dogmas.... no more ! :eek:

rEd Eye

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
A discussion site without differences of opinion would be like cartoons without violence......Booooring!
And besides,how would you manage to make youselves look better without having someone to flame?:D
Get with it!The human condition is such that if there is no conflict there is no reason to get involved.
And as I have witnessed on this site,most everyone here seems very eager to become involved in any inflamitory discussions.Joining in on the "trolling",so to speak.
So what's your problem?

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
GoCyrus the jerk ya love to hate

Hey hey hey. True it's good to have more then one side but...its a MAC RUMOR site. Not a PC forum. I wouldnt care if there was only a bad thing once in a while but nothing he posts is worthwhile to Apple Rumors. Also, we don't need him around to flame...we can find someone else like KingCobra (just a j/k no hard feelings).

Hecht! We could all take a week to be the butt of all jokes around here! We all know its not personal

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I got it...

Why dont we all just ignore him? I mean, it has to make him want to piss us off more when he sees threads like this. Just dont worry about it, and you will be ok:cool:

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
he adds a little flavor to this forum, and a little reality

this isn't a mac sanctuary, cupertino is (maybe)

we are in the real world of pcs everywhere and gocyrus is what one may hear from the masses day in and day out...my job is not to convert people, but to enjoy macs

...but if someone is willing to listen, then i will speak (and i have been known to speak my peace here on these forums);)

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Web page.

Has anyone checked out his web page? Its a bit over the top.

I have enjoyed most of gocyrus' opinions even if he is quite pc-centric. But the last forum he started was just rediculously evil and obviously flamebait.

I still don't understand everyone's extreme hatred of him though. Maybe he posted some really bad stuff before I got here.

My question is, how does a pc-centric person have so much time to spend on Mac sites? WTF. I think he likes all of the attention we give his pc rants.

Half the problem is we don't ignore our annoyances.

Matthew

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: Counterpoint...

Originally posted by Timothy
Personally...I get so myopic at times that I like to have someone around to present the other side of the story.

There is presenting the other side of the story and then there is infantile ranting. Most of us tend to dislike the latter, of which there has been a bit of a surge here lately, sadly.

blakespot

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Why isn't there an "all of the above"?

I get real sick of thick-headed twits. I can see the differing viewpoints angle but gocyrus is over the top. You don't get to behave like that once you are over age 19. Besides, I can't make use of my Evil powers to thier fullest if it isn't in person.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I wouldn't have even started this thread if he was simply posting opinions about peecee's or how they differ from the Mac. BUT, he posts ads for wintel crap too many times to just let slide. Then there was his latest about not hating him... all the things he said just made more people hate him.

Can't we all just get along???? *BANG* we can now... :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I'm just waiting for arn to close this thread! he he he....

I agree with blakespot here....

but I still have to say that u can't deny when certain people here act like @ssholes....

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i am a pc tech

servers are better left to pcs in most cases

huge animation via unix

business software, business apps

etc (and pcs are better for someone on a very limited budget...at least until apple comes out with a $399 dollar machine)

these i believe as facts

but i have an ibook, luckily

does that make me a troll? most dont mind gocyrus

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Do you post ads tooting peecee makers horns??? Announcing P-this and P-that?? If not, then you are not a troll.

By the way, I sort of agree about the server comment. Most of the time a peecee server is better, either because of the cost, or what the people maintaining them know. Also, it depends on the environment it is going into. If you are talking about a 90% or better Mac environments, where they don't need tons (or TB) of storage, then a Mac server COULD fit their needs. On the other hand, if you need something rack mounted that has gobs of storage, and you don't mind applying all the patches, updates, and hot-fixes to it, go with a peecee.

Some software, business side, runs better on the peecee, as much as I hate to admit it. That is why there are about 30 peecee's among the 250+ Mac systems where I work. We do have ONE Unix box that is a print server (set up for Mac's only, not peecee's).

I have both platforms at home. I use the TiBook daily, and when I feel like blasting away something, I power up the GAME peecee. The Mac does everything that I need to do, and does it well, and without crashing on me (thank you OS X :D). The peecee needs updates (alwasy 'critical' according to m$) pretty much every time I power it up. Then there are the several restarts between each update (can you say pain in the a$$?? I know you can). Some won't let you run with the others, more pain.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Hatfield, with all due respect.....you miss the point.

What makes him a Troll (the hill kind, not the bridge kind) is the tone of his posting. If this were a bar not a Forum gocyrus would get beaten up and thrown out every time he opened his mouth. What makes it worse is that he's a coward. We all know that he'd never act this way in person for exactly that reason so he mouths off in a place we can't get at him: here.

I think we need to add an option:post his current IP as a signature. It'd be nice to "know where he lives".

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
All that GoCyrus would have to do is create a new name. He could fake his and all the other info that you have to put in. It's kind of hard to kick somebody off of an internet site, I am sorry to say. But anyone that says any ant-mac stuff should have his/her account frozen for a month or something like that. But all that I am saying is you can't kick anyone off, unless I am dumb and I just don't know how.

PCUser

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2002
As a PC hardware user, and a Linux user (that's a love/hate relationship... it's WAY better then Microsoft, but it still sucks... a monolithic kernel with drivers written by random software programmers...) who has to use Winbloze for gaming, I think I am solidly considered a "PC User".

However, even I find gocyrus's posts over-the-top, aggrivating, and just downright rude (not to mention the fact that he doesn't have his facts straight).

Unforuntately, this is the internet, so even if you did feel that you wanted to kick him off, he could spoof his IP and MAC, and you'd have no way of knowing was him. That's a pretty easy thing to accomplish, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.