Getting the best gaming perf. out of my '09 MBP for FF14

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cryptik, Aug 22, 2013.

1. cryptik macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm trying to get the best performance out of my '09 MBP for FFXIV: Realm Reborn.

Currently running 4gb of DDR3 with a 250 gb HDD.

I was looking at getting 8gb of ram, and then upgrading to an SSD in a month or two.

Anyone run an 09 or 10 MBP with a 9400m for the Beta?

How well did your Pro perform, and with what spec?

2. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

I feel that your 9400m will really set you back a lot unless you plan on running everything at at low. And i mean setting the resolution to its absolute lowest as well as the settings.

3. cryptik thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the GPU will set me back a bit, but I was thinking that the extra ram will help with playing the game for any set amount of time, and if I added an SSD, it would help with loading/texture rending, etc.

4. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Yup, well if you came in expecting that then i guess thats an ok by me. If the game has a way to cap the FPS, they to limit it to prevent the temps from increasing too much. i usually have WoW limited to 24fps to keep the temps below 50C

5. CFoss macrumors 6502

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. While the SSD might improve load times and the RAM improving performance, your GPU simply won't be able to handle a lot of stress. If you are looking to run FFXIV anywhere near remotely decently, I recommend purchasing/building a new computer. Otherwise, unless FFXIV is incredibly optimized, I would be surprised if you can run the lowest of settings at 30FPS.