Getting the contents of a remote directory. Which route to take?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ViviUO, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ViviUO macrumors 6502

My fiance is somewhat of an artist and wanted another means of showing off her work. I had the idea of building her an iPad application that would work similarly to how the numerous wallpaper apps on the app store function.

I've uploaded a few hundred pieces of her artwork onto a server already. Now, I want to read the contents of that directory, place those contents into an array or dictionary, and display them either randomly or in order.

This isn't a "please help me" thread, and I haven't really started the project yet. I am simply looking for suggestions on what other people think the most efficient way of accomplishing this task would be.

I'm pretty sure I will stick to my array/dictionary approach, but would like to hear some feedback first. Additionally, there are a few ways to go about actually getting the contents from a remote directory that I would also appreciate input on.

Thanks all.

2. troop231 macrumors 603

How about reading the contents of the web server's directory and for each .jpeg (or whatever image file you use) found gets passed into an array. Then you can randomize whatever was stored in the array for viewing. Have you thought about caching that way you won't need to update the array from the server all the time unless specified?