Getting the Logitech Z-5500 speakers for my mbp, any requirements?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djvic87, Jan 7, 2010.

1. djvic87 macrumors regular

I'm a couple of minutes away from getting these speakers for my mbp. I've searched all over the internet, and it seems that the Z-5500's have the best reviews. However, I'm kind of concerned of the 5.1 surround. In better words, I want all the speakers to work properly on my mbp. Do I need anything else to make this work? I will only use this speaker system for music, movies, regular stuff. Sorry if this question was already posted on the forum, its just that I need to order the speakers by tonight. Any response would be grateful, thanks.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. djvic87 thread starter macrumors regular

Does the toslink cable fit directly in the mbp? Or do I need another small adapter to go in the mbp?

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No as long as you get the appropriate toslink connector it'll be fine. The jack doubles as both.

5. DAM-Photography macrumors member

They are great speakers. I tested them daily at my old job. Just make sure you buy them new, and if you order online to check them out and hope the sub-woofer didn't get damaged. If your buying in a store front, enjoy!

6. DAM-Photography macrumors member

They are great speakers. I tested them daily at my old job. Just make sure you buy them new, and if you order online to check them out and hope the sub-woofer didn't get damaged. If your buying in a store front, enjoy!

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you will need a mini-toslink adaptor and that will fit directly into the 3.5mm jack and you are sweet to go!

9. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

you need mini optical to optical. the mini optical plugs into the headphone port on the mbp. this is how im connected to my z-5500s as well. osx does 96-24 perfectly, and vlc outputs dolby digital and dts just fine. make sure to do the "secret hacks" on the control pod. dont worry, they really arent hacks, but just secrets really.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

LOL! didnt you read what i just said above :p silly g00se :D

11. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Nor did either of you read the post above both of yours. :p:cool:

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

touche ;)

13. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

You'll need earplugs so you won't take your life from the horrendous sound quality of those toy speakers ;). Other then that you will want a male 3.5mm to a male toslink optical cable.

14. DivineEvil macrumors regular

Why get a m/m toslink and then an adapter for m toslink/mini male toslink?
    There are some cables here that are toslink m/mini male toslink.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902

15. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

ultimately the choice is yours.
    i'd much prefer the cable + adapter since I dont own or know of alot of other devices with miniTOSLink if I ever wanted to hook the speakers up to a different device that didnt have miniTOSLink the option is available.
    besides you wont have any lag or drop out with the adapter & optical, which is nice.

So either one will work fine, but my preference is for the cable/adapter.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

id love a pair! theywould be sweeta as for me :D

its not like i can afford anything more then them anyway! ;)

for the price i think id be more then happy, unless you can offer something better sounding around that price tag?

17. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

I dunno about the states but in Sweden the Logitech costs 500 usd, and you get a Dynavoice surround system with a reciever for around 700 (although low quality but it's a lot better then the Logitech). Thoug in that price class I would look at a 2.0 setup instead with a pair of nice floorstanding speakers. Sure it's not surround, but you'll get better sound quality.

But you can most likely find some cheaper american made speaker brand from which you can get the low end surround system for around that price.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im in australia, meaning that we dont have access to hardly any technology. at most stores (where i live anyway) you would be paying top dollar for a pair of X530's!! :eek:

the dynavoice seems way way out of my price range tbh. at $400Aus, even the logitech 5500s are (poor uni student here).

what about some nice bookshelf speakers or something? can you recommend any of them below the $400Aus mark (like $~360US).

19. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The problem is im not really a pro on the brands which seems to be most avaliable in australia, im mostly into european brands since well, I live here :p.

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its pretty hard to be a pro for something that doesnt really exist :p you have to be in the city to be around the big name brands. and im not :(