Getting the most out of my PS3 and non-Intel iMac

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gwuMACaddict, Aug 25, 2010.

1. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Help!

Old forum member here, finally got a PS3. Now what??

Can I use it to put pictures on the TV by connecting it to the Mac? And How?

Thanks!!

(Any other recommendation welcome. Total game console newb.)

2. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

PS3 Media Server will get just about any file you can find onto your TV through the PS3. Works great.

As for games, if you want to start off slow, try some of the downloadable games from the PSN store. There is a series of games called "Pixel Junk" which are good fun. PJ Shooter and PJ Eden are both great games. I also really like "Echochrome" as well. It is very simple looking, but a good brain-bending puzzle game.

As for disc based games, well, the sky's the limit really. Shooters, Driving, Action, RPGs, you name it, there is probably a game you'll like. If you want PS3 exclusive stuff, Metal Gear Solid 4 is pretty fun, as are the 2 Uncharted games. I also really like Warhawk, which is an online shooter. Plenty of good games. I'm sure some other people will chime in with their choices as well.

3. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Are you sure that program works with a non-Intel Mac? I keep getting Java errors, telling me I need a new version.

Thanks for the help.

4. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I didn't even think that it would be an issue. I can't say I know what would be causing that, or what a fix would be. Sorry.

5. gwuMACaddict thread starter macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

The application tries to load, then tells me that I don't have Java 1.6.

When I go to the Java website, it seems like I need an Intel Mac to upgrade and further.

Going to try with my bro's intel Mac laptop tonight. Wanted to stream some pictures from a recent vacation.

I'm due for a new computer soon, but was hoping to use this one in the mean time.

If anyone knows of a pre-intel program that will allow the Mac to talk to the PS3, let me know.

Thanks!