Getting TuneInRadio recording off an iPhone/iPod Touch to a PC/Mac to try & play it

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by infobleep, Dec 24, 2011.

1. infobleep macrumors regular

Hi there

Ages ago I looked into the possibility of getting off the TuneInRadio recordings from my iPod Touch and putting them onto my computer.

I thought I would post an update in case someone has a solution or it helps them if they are ever trying to get the recordings off and wish to try and get them to play. I jailbroke my then 2nd generation iPod Touch got the files off. At the time I was finding that only some of the recordings would play. More recently I went back to this and it appears to me that any recording over 5 minutes in length will not play but any recording under 5 minutes in length would.

TuneInRadio works by recording graphics showing you wish song and/or radio show you are listening to. Every so often this changes. When it does, a new recording file is created on the iPod. These being I believe mp3. Certainly the ones below 5 minutes in length are. They have the extensions .001, .002 etc and not mp3. This is so the app can sequence them correctly using it's related xml files.

It would appear that if the graphics change regularly then you get lots of files under the 5 minute length. However if it doesn't then you get files over 5 minutes in length and these I can't play. I don't know what can be done to get them to play as my knowledge of xml on this point is limited. It may require more advanced understanding of their closed source programming.

2. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Good grief! Wouldn't it be easier just installing Rogue Amoeba's RadioShift on your Mac & recording directly using that?

3. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Your right it would be and that is what I'm doing right now but I hadn't realised this when I first started using TuneInRadio last year. At the time I thought I'd easily be able to get the recordings off and I tended to use the device when my computer wasn't on. Hence I have legacy recordings. At worst I can use a 3.5mm jack lead but I'm hoping it might not come to that.