Getting used to LTE and its quirks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LincolnsiPod, Oct 27, 2012.

1. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Since getting the iPhone 5 I've been using LTE for the first time ever on the Verizon network. I'm in the Long Island area about 40 miles outside of NYC and have LTE coverage.

I've noticed where I've always had 5 bars with 3G is now 3 bars with LTE. Is this normal due to the phone now locking on to a different type of signal?

Are there any tricks to optimizing the iPhone to ensure it's getting the best signal possible (maybe resetting network settings, etc)

Does LTE automatically switch to 3G when I leave an LTE coverage area (like when I'm on a road trip?)

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes. LTE operates on different frequencies than the CDMA (3G) network. The tower deployments are different too. Right now some cell sites have LTE, while many don't, at least for now. So, you might have a few cell sites nearby that don't have LTE yet, while a more distant site does. If your phone can get a usable signal from that distant site, it'll connect to it for LTE, meaning lower bars for LTE than CDMA.

Don't wrap it in foil, and don't hold it wrong. :)

Otherwise, no. The phone is going to do what it does. A lot of people like to flip settings on and off and fiddle with things, and they think it brings them a better signal, but it's just placebo effect. Just let the phone be.

It's supposed to, yes. It'll also switch down to CDMA when you make or receive a voice call.

3. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

+1 For the extremely helpful answers. :D I read some crazy stories about LTE issues so I was starting to get worried.

BTW, 27Mbps, 11.35Mbps speeds where I am too, even better than I get on FIOS at home. :eek:

4. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

So that is how Verizon achieves a large LTE footprint in a short time? Swiss cheese LTE coverage!

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

6. LincolnsiPod thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably, but then again if they hadn't done it that way I'd probably still be waiting for LTE coverage. :D