GF stepped on my MBP and broke display-Apple care cover it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emrtr4, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

Hi,

My gf stepped on my laptop (by mistake) and cracked the display. The left half of the monitor is clearly ruined (it still runs, I am using an ACD right now but the monitor to the laptop is also running). I am nearly certain there is no way to repair it.

Will Apple (bought the computer in August) replace the screen without charge? I do have a 3 year warranty?

2. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why should they replace with no charge??

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I believe apple care doesn't cover accidental damage so I think your out of luck. Maybe you shouldn't be so careless with your things. Was it on the floor when she stepped on it?

5. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

6. milk242 macrumors 6502a

If you are mechanically savvy you can replace the screen yourself maybe even using a higher resolution screen. That should save you money instead of having Apple charge you a high amount for the repair.

7. jamesmr89 macrumors newbie

Not too hard to do

I replaced the screen on my MB a couple months back after a similar situation. Apple will want some insane price to do this, but a search online had me back up and running for under 200$,my guess is you'll pay a little more for the larger screen, but if your handy, you'll save yourself a bundle by doing this yourself.

J

8. Scallywag macrumors regular

Couldn't agree more, I was surprised how easy it is to replace just about everything inside these computers. I replaced a fried DC-in board on my GF's Powerbook last year. If you've ever done this, you'd know that to get to the DC board you have to remove just about everything else.

All you need is the right tools, ifixit.com, steady hands, and a willingness to void the warranty. In this case the warranty does you no good, so I say give it a try. Find a genuine replacement part and be very careful, and Apple may never know that you replaced the display!

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Not only will apple not replace this but they will charge you an absurd price to replace it. dump your girlfriend :D

10. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

If the gf is going to pay then get apple to do it :D

11. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

I took a MacBook to the Apple Store about a month ago to replace the LCD panel. They wanted over $700 to do it... outrageous. I don't even think the machine is worth that much money anymore.

12. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Get a new screen and a new gf. Who steps on 2k+ computers. lol

13. OmahaGTP macrumors member

Sounds like she was jealous, and wanted to get a certain someone, or something out of the picture.

14. rickolis macrumors member

rickolis

My friend set his macbook on the stove top and burned the coils into the bottom of the case by accident. Applecare did cover it. Just go to the Apple Store and most people I've encountered there are really nice, understand and are willing to help. They even replaced a jailbroken iPhone that was still in warranty!

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I'm going to go ahead and call shenanigans on that. It is rather unbelievable that Apple would see coils from an electric stove as a manufacturing defect.

16. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you call Apple and talk to apple support, you may get a new girlfriend. But ONLY if you've got applecare.

17. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You could always ask the gf to work off the cost...

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You obviously forgot "Bow Chicka Bow Wow"...

19. easy-mac macrumors member

Out of curiosity, doesn't it void your warranty if you do the repair yourself?

20. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

So he had 2 girlfriends and one thought he was cheating and took the other outta the picture. lol. Bad gf!

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yes, it does indeed.

AppleCare is a warranty, not and insurance policy. It covers manufacturer faults with the hardware, not damage, theft or loss.

If you do the repair yourself it will completely void the AppleCare warranty on your machine. You'll need to have it repaired by an authorised Apple service technician and it will cost a bomb - the parts aren't cheap and neither is the labour.

See if your home & contents insurance will cover it and if they do then get a quote from Apple for the repair.

22. MBPDiva macrumors regular

What a terrible thing to say. The OP should ask her if she's going to pay to fix the MBP and if she refuses, then he should dump the girlfriend. :D

23. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No no no.

He shouldn't dump the girlfriend but he should get her to pay. Remember he's in such a loving relationship because he's actually let his girlfriend go near his MacBook Pro (obviously a big step as I'm sure you all agree).

She should recognise the level of this commitment and pay for the full replacement cost of the screen.

Then, once it's been fixed and the relationship restored to it's former status he should drop her like she's hot because NOBODY STEPS ON MY F**KING COMPUTER!!!! NOBODY!!!
    :D

25. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Who leaves a 2k+ computer where someone can step on it?
    It sucks and I hope all works out. It was an accident and I hope you're not mad at your g/f.