Ghosts, Spirits and Spiritual Energy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BreakGuy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I'm keen to get everyone's opinion on whether you believe (or perhaps) know if ghosts, spirits or other paranormal entities exist.

What I certainly do not want to do it turn this discussion into a debate about religion as there's already threads for that, but if you believe religion is a part of the paranormal universe, by all means share.

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No. It's nonsense. To bastardise an internet expression-

"Peer reviewed scientific papers, or it didn't happen." :D

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Only when I use the wrong mushrooms in my omelette.....

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Since neither I nor anyone else on earth has a complete understanding of how the universe or natural world works -- I guess I must say that its possible that spirits exist -- but it is a remote possibility IMO.

I can think of no natural reason why the the disembodied spirit of a person (if a spirit exits at all) would be compelled or would want to hang around here. I look at the natural world and we can figure out why a butterfly has a certain color in a certain environment or why a rattlesnake has a poisonous bite -- so I think the natural order of things probably dictates what happens when we die and there is probably a pattern to that to.

5. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Typically, absence of evidence is evidence of absence. Everything that we know about modern biology tells us that our brain is the center of all human thought and emotions. Once the chemistry in the brain ceases to function, or functions differently, the "spirit" of the individual is completely changed.

It kinda bugs me when people say, "since you can't disprove it, it's possible..." If you were a juror in murder trial, and there wasn't any physical evidence that the defendant was involved in the crime, but there was the testimony from the neighbor who said that she "felt his spirit" at the scene of the crime. Would you think, "well, you can't prove that he wasn't there, so I'm going to say there's no way we can know, and call it a mistrial"? No, logic tells you that if there isn't any evidence for a claim, it's usually best to go with the null position until there's evidence to support it.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Only in the imagination. But imagination can be a powerful thing.

8. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

It's the reason we became successful as a species.

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

And the reason we may destroy ourselves.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's very possible. Exposed to a lifetime of ghostly rumors, as someone who feels something that can easily be described as "spiritual", and as an avid Ghost Hunters watcher :D, there is a lot of unexplained **** going on out there. To call it nonsense indicates a closed mind IMO.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Key word!

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The god ghost of the gaps argument?

13. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

very unlikely.
    also, there would be different levels of 'unlikeliness' depending on what kind of supernatural phenomena we are considering and/or their alleged supernatural explanation.

i'll try to explain myself better.
    i don't think there are 'supernatural' events, but i concede that some phenomena that might seem supernatural are not explained, due to our lack of complete understanding of them.
    In other words, some things that are now 'unexplainable' might one day be explained within the boundaries of a future, more complete understanding of the laws of nature.
    Much like natural phenomena that are well understood now where seen as supernatural at some point, or like some modern technology would be indistinguishable from bona fide 'magic' to someone who was never exposed to it.

14. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Or skeptical, or rational. Closed minded may not be the most accurate description you're looking for. How about, a "materialistic" mind instead?

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ok, I can buy that. :)

16. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I don't believe in ghosts. All of the stuff on tv is fake.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ghosts and other "paranormal" phenomenon exert a powerful influence on most peoples' imaginations - even people that don't believe in them.

I don't believe in such things, but that doesn't mean I don't find ghost stores thrilling. With that being said, television shows that focus on the paranormal are embarrassingly contrived in my opionion. Many people believe in them, however.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think its flawed to view a lack of evidence about spirits/afterlife in the same way that one would view the lack of evidence in a murder trial. In the U.S. at least, its agreed that we must rely upon limited knowledge of a crime in order to try and determine someone's guilt. If it can't be proven, we give the benefit of the doubt to the defendant and that person is found innocent. However, that *doesn't* mean the defendant didn't commit the crime--just that there wasn't any proof.

Several things existed well before humanity could prove they did. Germs, galaxies, basic elements, dinosaurs etc.

I think its only reasonable to say that its very *unlikely* that something fantastical exists--like a spirit or an afterlife with Jesus sitting on a throne. As such, I would not base life decisions on someone's unproven assertion that they are true.

However, it seems that there are those that believe that if something -- anything -- isn't definitively proven to exist then it never will exist, never can exist, and therefore never will. I think this comes from fear of the unknown to be honest. If there is no unknown, then there is nothing to be afraid of.

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I believe Demons exist if that counts.

And for the sake of the OP go bash my ideas in the C v. A thread.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Demons created by god?

21. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Yeah as angels who decided to rebel against God (free will) and the fallen angels (demons) sided with Satan.

22. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

All I'm saying is that, depending on the claim, it's irrational to accept a claim without any evidence. I think we're both in agreement here.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Bit of a serious bug, I'd say. Calls himself a Designer, does he?

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Well... there is always a possibility that something like that exists, even if the current evidence points to a very small probability. I would like to see evidence of the existence of the duality first before looking into other supernatural phenomena.

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

As I said before let's adhere to the OP's request to not turn this into a religious bashing - er - debate.