macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Rob Picton writes in with the following link from MacUser:

Owing to the last-minute date change, Apple is still sitting on the
new models, and sources indicate an announcement will now not
come until next week at the earliest.Apple has delayed the release
of new Power Macs, for reasons best known to itself.

brondee73

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2001
just keep on waiting

The new PowerMac is due January 22 ...
no I mean next week ... um well maybe ...
I guess for all of you out there who are waiting in anticipation of the new PowerMacs ... you'll see them when they ship them and the rumor sites will continue to bait us with purported facts. Take it all with a grain of salt.

U

Unregistered

ahaha well hey if you keep saying this to yourself each week eventually you'll be right...

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
Are we really that excited over this?

I mean really.... After all this time of screaming MHZ DOESN'T MATTER, now everyone is getting their panties in a wad over a possible increase of 133 MHZ? Come on. Things to really be excited over would be DDR RAM, Gigawire, USB2, Hypertransport, Faster system Bus, Superdrive standard in all PowerMacs, a true G5.... I don't expect even half of these things to come out next weeks or for months for that matter. I'm saving my pennies though, cause I do expect most of these things by MWNY. I'll save my anticipation until then.

OSeXy!

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
London (or virtually here)
Possibly

But also just sounds like MacUser 'covering its ***'. I can't see Apple sitting on new equipment while 2.2GHz P4s are getting all the headlines. If the kit isn't ready, it isn't ready...

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
In fairness to MacUser, they did say "most likely" - it was everyone else, including myself, that took it as fact.

Anyway, it's not as if there is going to be much of a change - if there were Apple would wait until a major show to release them with maximum impact.

It'll be nothing more than a 15% speed bump and bit more RAM I reckon.

B

badtzmat

architosh.com

architosh.com has a good understanding... mmm better understanding of apple and its releasing of product. they are saying g5s at mw tokyo. check out their site. infact they almost spot on in their prediction of releases at mwsf. i am going to look to them for info.

gelbin

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
mhz does matter - i don't know who says it does not

just to clarify: i don't think anyone - apple or amd or whomever (for sure not me) - is saying that mhz do not matter - they are saying that when comparing two different chips, mhz can not be used to make a direct comparison. some chips are more efficient at certain tasks and/or have different pipeline sizes etc - so comparing a 180 mhz 603 to a 180 mhz 604 is not comparing apples to apples. AND, both apple and amd want to make this claim to open the door to the fact that their chip, cycle per cycle (a la mhz per mhz) is a faster chip (than the P4), thus even though it lags in cycles, it gets a whole lot more done in each of those cycles --> meaning it gets more done period.

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
hmmm

Poor Rob Picton. i guess he drew the short straw.

I stand corrected. I mistook Rob Picton for the author of the macuser uk article. I should have wrote:

Poor Simon Aughton & Mike Hirschkorn i guess they drew the short straw(s).

My apologies, Robl.

U

Unregistered

stupid

this is all a crock.... the new iMacs are not due until next week so the idea of new PowerMacs being introduceed with no mention of them at macworld is odd don't you think? the only explaniation is that the case is going to stay quicksilver and the only changes are to the G4 speeds.

grrr223

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2002
Philadelphia
Why would anyone using a Mac get excited over USB 2.0? Isn't that designed by Intel? I'm just curious because Firewire will kick USB's ass any day, despite the speed claims of USB 2.0. There are a lot more factors than just the speed, I read an article on it somewhere. For example, USB splits it's bandwith among devices, so your keyboard and mouse are each receiving the same amount of bandwith as say your printer or digital camera when they need about a 10th of it. USB was not designed for high speed data transfer like Firewire and now Gigawire were.

I have not bought into any of these release date rumors, but i do agree with someone else who said that Apple is going to have to make some big changes to its pro line now that they put an 800 mhz g4 in the iMac, I think we'll be seeing chips faster than 1 Ghz, and soon.

U

Unregistered

G4s and iMacs

The new G4's are on the way, and in a newly designed case. Remember that the Powermac G4 is built in Sacramento, not Taiwan. Nothing has changed on the production floor in Sac as of today, although management at the facility says there is a new design on the way this week. Of course, they're not going to start building the new model until it is revealed to the public just to keep the factory workers from stealing Jobs' thunder by sneaking a pic on the 'net.

As far as the new iMac goes, Apple already has a backlog of over 50,000 units. Orders for 50,000 units in just a few weeks since Macworld Expo is not too shabby. If they keep this up, they'll sell close to a million this year alone if demand stays high. Of course, that figure might go up once the market catches on. I've already ordered one, although I may have to reconsider if the new Powermac G4 is as awesome as I have been told.

unclepain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Va Beach VA
Why get excited?

The reason to get excited over USB2 is because it's something NEW. (Not that I'm THAT excited over USB2. In fact, I would put that at the bottom of the list of new technologies) What have we gotten in the powermacs recently that was new? The superdrive and different flavors of video cards. That's it. Everything else has just been evolutions of the same old stuff. If all we see is a bump to 1GHZ, little more HD size and more Ram then what's the big deal? The GHZ barrier is nothing more that marketing fluff at this point.

evanmarx

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
Re: G4s and iMacs

Originally posted by Unregistered
If they keep this up, they'll sell close to a million this year alone if demand stays high. Of course, that figure might go up once the market catches on. I've already ordered one, although I may have to reconsider if the new Powermac G4 is as awesome as I have been told.
that's exactly why apple is NOT presenting any new imac-competing new powermac 41/2before the imac is shipping and delivering its orders ... doh

people would jump off the wagon and cancel the imac ... that's why i presume that the powermacs must be faster than expected ... because a small change to 933/1000 wouldn't make most people change their minds over an imac-order

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Kudos to whoever is working at Sac!

Thanx for the data.

I have an Apple in-house rumor that Motorola may suspend it's chip fabrication and outsource production of it's chip designs due to lack of proffitability. It may mean that IBM may take over under liscence from Moto as Apple's chip vendor. This would make for an easier time for Apple, not having to wait on Moto all the time.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
I was figuring they (Apple) had a "ramping up" problem: not enough product in sufficient quantities for all the stores.

After all, the new iMac isn't available yet. :mad:

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Re: USB vs. Firewire

Originally posted by eyelikeart
maybe this article will can explain it better than I would...

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0004/26.usb.shtml
I thought it was kind of interesting that this article was written about a year and a half ago. If USB 2 comes out on the Macs later this year, that would be good, but I've also read about an improved Firewire that will stomp all over USB 2.

Does anyone know how fast the current FW port on current Macs are right now?

stagemic

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2002
Florida
Re: Re: USB vs. Firewire

Originally posted by edenwaith

I thought it was kind of interesting that this article was written about a year and a half ago. If USB 2 comes out on the Macs later this year, that would be good, but I've also read about an improved Firewire that will stomp all over USB 2.

Does anyone know how fast the current FW port on current Macs are right now?
Currently Firewire is at 400 Mbps...

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
predictions

Hey, Macuser just announced that the new power mac will be out....

...sometime in the future.

Well, when...exactly....

In the future, when apple releases them.

oh.