Giant new ring detected around Saturn

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Oct 7, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

How cool! Who ever thought a big ball of gas could be so pretty and fascinating. :) (to say the least)

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Wars, swine flu, terrorists, growing cancer rates, and scientists concentrate on dirty planet rings we can do nothing about...

Perspective!

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yes, please have some. :rolleyes:

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

SOME scientists. Your statement makes it sounds like all scientists. Personally I'm more interested in astrophysics than sociology.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

What, No jokes about dirty rings around Uranus??

shocking!!

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ :D Excellent!

Yes, all those astrophysicists and other such space-heads should stop their useless work immediately and get going on epidemiology, oncology, sociology, paranoia and stuff that may please YOUR perspective of what is important.
    Everyone has their specialized field.

Perspective!

8. zoomungus macrumors member

Maybe we need to watch the planets anyhoo................something could be hurtling towards us right now, cant wait for 2012;)

Oh I forgot, they are detonating a nuke on the moon too:eek:

9. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I actually believe that.

Can you tell me how this second ring at Saturn - that even the article mentions is almost invisible - matters to human life here on earth? How much $ was spent to detect it that could have been better spent giving a loan to a small business, or building a new oil refinery, or starting a new car manufacturing company? In terms of relevance to human affairs this new ring at Saturn - like the fictional Romulan Neutral Zone but certainly as relevant - matters little and means even less. Stories such as this surface in the news from time to time so useless space heads can justify academic research loans that the rest of working society is burdened to pay.

Perspective.

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

mmmm, yeah, you're probably right. Humans should just knock if off with all forms of scientific advancement. What's the point anyway, right?

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Is not that bad buddy. Take it from a guy who had it. ;)

Perspective!

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

If you are that painfully short-sighted then I have no reason to even dignify this with a proper response. You wouldn't understand or agree anyway. It would just feed your trollish desire to stir up crap. No thanks.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would much rather have them discover a ring around the toilet than extend credit just for the sake of over-extending credit, or build a new refinery, or start a new car company when some of the existing car companies are barely hanging on.

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think it's nice that we're concerned about things significantly larger than Earth and the human race that infects it.

15. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Actually I think it's nice too... my concern, however, was that there are in fact worldly things here on earth that merit our attention far more... I know sometimes when realists place due emphasis upon small business loans, new oil refineries, or new car companies they are belittled as trolls but that doesn't change reality....

Anyone wish to try to make a case for how these almost "invisible" rings around Saturn will impact humanity (more so than examples I emphasized in paragraph above)?

16. MasterDev macrumors 65816

I don't know about all of you guys... But I'm still pissed that Pluto is not considered a planet anymore...

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes I do have a case. It is narrow-minded to so I think you'll agree. A new ring around Saturn may bring back thoughts of Saturn the car and may rekindle the love for it thereby calling for higher demand and thus bringing back more jobs at GM. Therefore, the ring, albeit faint and new, may just tie into your thoughts about cars. ;)

18. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

This is really interesting. The sheer size of it is mind boggling. 1B Earths?!?!?!

19. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

I have to give you credit, you've been here for a whole day and have been giving trolling your all. Try branching out your subjects a bit though, you keep grabbing at the low-hanging fruit.

As for the topic at hand, very cool! It's amazing some of the things we discover simply within out own minuscule corner of the galaxy. Should be even more interesting the further out we move (assuming we get the chance...).

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us...

Nectarines?

Noodles?

Nachos?

Neopolitan ice cream?

21. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Correct me if I'm way off base here, but the science community is highly, HIGHLY specialized. I don't see how pulling astronomers off research of Saturn and placing them onto, say, genome research, is being productive. They're out of their field, and while able to grasp the concepts easier than someone without a doctoral background in science, would still be relatively useless in finding disease cures.

22. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Then the only logical course of action is they change their specialty. :rolleyes:
    F*** astrology!

23. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You're not, no one is. IntheNet is just severely lacking in any normal, reasonable common sense what-so-ever.

That or they're just a big fat stonking troll, it's really hard to say.

24. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Can't it be both?

25. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It's got my vote, definitely.