Giant new ring detected around Saturn

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
A colossal new ring has been identified around Saturn.

The dusty hoop extends some 13 million km from the planet, about 50 times further out into space than its more familiar rings.

Scientists tell the journal Nature that the tenuous ring is probably made up of debris kicked off Saturn's moon Phoebe by small impacts.

They think this dust then migrates towards the planet where it is picked up by another Saturnian moon, Iapetus.

The discovery would appear to resolve a longstanding mystery in planetary science: why the walnut-shaped Iapetus has a two-tone complexion, with one side of the moon significantly darker than the other.
BBC.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Wars, swine flu, terrorists, growing cancer rates, and scientists concentrate on dirty planet rings we can do nothing about...

Perspective!
SOME scientists. Your statement makes it sounds like all scientists. Personally I'm more interested in astrophysics than sociology.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
^ :D Excellent!

Wars, swine flu, terrorists, growing cancer rates, and scientists concentrate on dirty planet rings we can do nothing about...

Perspective!
Yes, all those astrophysicists and other such space-heads should stop their useless work immediately and get going on epidemiology, oncology, sociology, paranoia and stuff that may please YOUR perspective of what is important.
Everyone has their specialized field.

Perspective!

zoomungus

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2009
lakenheath UK
Maybe we need to watch the planets anyhoo................something could be hurtling towards us right now, cant wait for 2012;)

Oh I forgot, they are detonating a nuke on the moon too:eek:

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, all those astrophysicists and other such space-heads should stop their useless work immediately and get going on epidemiology, oncology, sociology, paranoia and stuff that may please YOUR perspective of what is important
I actually believe that.

Can you tell me how this second ring at Saturn - that even the article mentions is almost invisible - matters to human life here on earth? How much $ was spent to detect it that could have been better spent giving a loan to a small business, or building a new oil refinery, or starting a new car manufacturing company? In terms of relevance to human affairs this new ring at Saturn - like the fictional Romulan Neutral Zone but certainly as relevant - matters little and means even less. Stories such as this surface in the news from time to time so useless space heads can justify academic research loans that the rest of working society is burdened to pay.

Perspective.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I actually believe that.

Can you tell me how this second ring at Saturn - that even the article mentions is almost invisible - matters to human life here on earth? How much $ was spent to detect it that could have been better spent giving a loan to a small business, or building a new oil refinery, or starting a new car manufacturing company? In terms of relevance to human affairs this new ring at Saturn - like the fictional Romulan Neutral Zone but certainly as relevant - matters little and means even less. Stories such as this surface in the news from time to time so useless space heads can justify academic research loans that the rest of working society is burdened to pay.

Perspective.
If you are that painfully short-sighted then I have no reason to even dignify this with a proper response. You wouldn't understand or agree anyway. It would just feed your trollish desire to stir up crap. No thanks.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I actually believe that.

Perspective.
I would much rather have them discover a ring around the toilet than extend credit just for the sake of over-extending credit, or build a new refinery, or start a new car company when some of the existing car companies are barely hanging on.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
In terms of relevance to human affairs this new ring at Saturn - like the fictional Romulan Neutral Zone but certainly as relevant - matters little and means even less. Stories such as this surface in the news from time to time so useless space heads can justify academic research loans that the rest of working society is burdened to pay.
I think it's nice that we're concerned about things significantly larger than Earth and the human race that infects it.

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
I think it's nice that we're concerned about things significantly larger than Earth and the human race that infects it.
Actually I think it's nice too... my concern, however, was that there are in fact worldly things here on earth that merit our attention far more... I know sometimes when realists place due emphasis upon small business loans, new oil refineries, or new car companies they are belittled as trolls but that doesn't change reality....

Anyone wish to try to make a case for how these almost "invisible" rings around Saturn will impact humanity (more so than examples I emphasized in paragraph above)?

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I don't know about all of you guys... But I'm still pissed that Pluto is not considered a planet anymore...

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Actually I think it's nice too... my concern, however, was that there are in fact worldly things here on earth that merit our attention far more... I know sometimes when realists place due emphasis upon small business loans, new oil refineries, or new car companies they are belittled as trolls but that doesn't change reality....

Anyone wish to try to make a case for how these almost "invisible" rings around Saturn will impact humanity (more so than examples I emphasized in paragraph above)?
Yes I do have a case. It is narrow-minded to so I think you'll agree. A new ring around Saturn may bring back thoughts of Saturn the car and may rekindle the love for it thereby calling for higher demand and thus bringing back more jobs at GM. Therefore, the ring, albeit faint and new, may just tie into your thoughts about cars. ;)

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
North Shore, MA

Perspective!
I have to give you credit, you've been here for a whole day and have been giving trolling your all. Try branching out your subjects a bit though, you keep grabbing at the low-hanging fruit.

As for the topic at hand, very cool! It's amazing some of the things we discover simply within out own minuscule corner of the galaxy. Should be even more interesting the further out we move (assuming we get the chance...).

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
Correct me if I'm way off base here, but the science community is highly, HIGHLY specialized. I don't see how pulling astronomers off research of Saturn and placing them onto, say, genome research, is being productive. They're out of their field, and while able to grasp the concepts easier than someone without a doctoral background in science, would still be relatively useless in finding disease cures.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Correct me if I'm way off base here, but the science community is highly, HIGHLY specialized. I don't see how pulling astronomers off research of Saturn and placing them onto, say, genome research, is being productive. They're out of their field, and while able to grasp the concepts easier than someone without a doctoral background in science, would still be relatively useless in finding disease cures.
Then the only logical course of action is they change their specialty. :rolleyes:
F*** astrology!