Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i have a friend who works on a pc and is using photoshop 5 just to do some casual graphic stuff for the web. He is trying to make an image with a transparent background and save it as a .gif.... but for some reason it doesnt allow for that. Is there an issue with photo 5 and saving for gifs with transparent background? I dont know about photo 5... its been a long while since i used it and when i did it was only briefly and i hardly ever did anything for the web at that time. So im wondering if any of you all might know anything i dont anout this.

FatTony

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
It's been ahwle since I used Photoshop 5. I'm not sure how different it is from the latest version, but here goes:

If you want to save in the gif format the image has to be index color, not rgb or cmyk. However, this won't help with assigning a transparent color. So you don't really need to do this unless the next option isn't available:

Try 'save for web' under the file menu. This will give you lots of options on controlling the final file, including making it a gif and assigning transparent colors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.