Gifs sent through iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by millertime021, Nov 22, 2011.

1. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I did a quick search and couldn't come up with anything, so I figured I'd throw a thread out here.

I know when you save a .Gif off the internet, it becomes a still in your Camera Roll. (Disappointing, but okay).

However, when you send it via iMessage (haven't tried with text messaging), it become animated in the messages thread. But, if you click on it, or save it, it becomes a still again.

Anyone know the technical reason why?

I've just found it odd.

2. distemp macrumors regular

I'd love to know this too.

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

This has always annoyed me because, as we all know, there are a ton of hilarious .gif's floating around. I've always been disappointed when saving them because they go still, so I never even bothered to send them on because I figured the other person would just get the still image and be like wtf. Good to know otherwise!

4. Nikefn2 macrumors regular

I send gifs occasionally in response to iMessages that can only be answered with a gif lol.

While it does go to a still when it is saved in camera roll, it will send as a gif once you hit send BUT there's a catch. While all the gifs will appear as gifs on your end when sent, they will not come up as gifs sometimes when the receiving person gets them.

I'm not sure if this has to do with the gif file size or what. I have like 2 or 3 that constantly work but testing out new ones are generally a pain when you get a response saying "it didn't work" lol.