Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Giving my iphone 4 to sister in law, and curious as to what the options were for restoring as new, but putting all of my music and maybe even some of my more expensive apps after restore. The apps aren't so important, but it would be cool to let her have all my music...

Andrew83Ga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
yikes...ok. I own the phone, and I should own the music, especially since 99% of it was ripped off of CD's I bought. Whatever, thanks for the help.

----------

Ill just re rip everything and give her the music on her external hard drive so that she can put it into her iTunes library. Problem solved.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Look into iTunes Home Sharing. It's a way to legally share your music and apps with anyone on the same local network as you; it's intended for sharing with family members mostly.

Just wipe and reset the phone (make sure to logout of Messages first), and then share your iTunes library with your sister using Home Sharing.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
For best results and a happy sister-in-law, give her the phone set up as brand new, a little crash course/training, and a $50 iTunes gift card so she can go buy her first few apps on you :)

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Yeah, I'm not sure the forum rules/guidelines would permit help on this topic as it could be considerd pirating.

Hmmm a grey area indeed.

If you buy a music cd and rip from it to iTunes is it considered yours fully. Club dj's play it to audiences !

Maybe if your making a living from selling copies the industry would be interested in you.

Perhaps a mod will clarify on the rules !

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
For best results and a happy sister-in-law, give her the phone set up as brand new, a little crash course/training, and a $50 iTunes gift card so she can go buy her first few apps on you :)

great idea. Sharing itunes accounts only leads to a disaster!

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Ill just re rip everything....

Regardless of the legality, you certainly don't need to physically re-rip if you've already got the files.

Also, since no one mentioned it specifically, the only way to give the apps (short of home sharing) is to give/share the AppleID, too. That would be problematic.

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.