Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by decimal, May 20, 2002.
Can we expect to see a g4/1000 TiBook. Or is the g4/800 the last stop for the TiB before g5?
Re: Gigahertz TiBook
There is one thing we can be sure of: there will be no G5 in a tiBook until there is a G5 in the desktop machines. even then, it may take a little while, as it did with the G4, to get cost and engineering factors under control (heat, etc) for a notebook application. So, given those facts, I think its very fair to say there will be at least 1, probably 2 or more more updates to the G4 tiBook before a G5 makes an appearence, escpailly considering almost everyone is expecting at least 1 more update to the G4 desktop machines before they go G5, and maybe more. its going to be a while, at least a year.
i guarantee that we will see a 1GHZ G4 PB before we see a G5 chip inside. just wait and see
I'd love to see them up the System Bus.
I am a mathematician and do some HPC. I've never used macs before. My advisor at NASA suggested I use the g4 for its altivec performance. I must say I was pretty impressed with the numbers. I just cant wait to get my hands on the g4 PB. But being on the PC bandwagon for so long, I'm having a "frequency block" going with the g4/800. Was wondering if I can get a PB g4/1000 some time soon. Or indeed even a bus at higher freq.
Just for reference, I asked the same question in another thread, there were quite alot of replys...
You are obviously a very intelligent person and your results look promissing for the Velocity Engine.
Re: Re: Gigahertz TiBook
Another thing we can be sure of: there will be no G5 Tibook. The move to a new processor will most certaintly result in a new case, thus making it a tibook no more.
A 1Ghz Powerbook is what I'm waiting for......... G4 or G5..... I don't care, aslong as it is released by Jan, Feb 03, when I'm buying..... I figure that a 1Ghz Pb will be offer a nice increase in performance over my current TiBook 500....
Next revision will be in the 933 to 1Ghz speed....... I doubt that it'll be released before October...... although I'm more than happy for Apple to prove me wrong on this one!!!
Re: Re: Re: Gigahertz TiBook
You have a very valid point sir...... i wonder what the next case will be made of??? Carbon fibre and Titanium would be nice.......
It's hard to imagine how Apple will improve the TiBook design, certainly with regards to making it thinner...... I can't wait to see what they have up there sleeves for this....... doubt we'll see it though before the mid-end of next year though!!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gigahertz TiBook
The thinness of my tibook is probably the most amazing feature. How they managed to fit so much power into this enclosure is beyond me. Sometimes i just like to open it up and admire Whatever they do for the next generation of powerbooks, i really, really hope they keep it as thin as it is now. If rumors are true (sometimes...) then the G5 will run cooler than the G4, so more airflow/heat dissapation wouldn't be needed. Thinner than it is now? How??? It looks as though the case only just has space for the optical drive!
As ever though, apple are pretty good at pulling the odd trick out of the hat; it's going to be fun
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gigahertz TiBook
I know exactly what you mean, when I first received my TiBook and stuck it on my desk next to my old G3 266..... it was like....... sh*t man..... this little slab of metal is like X times more powerful than the hulk of beige plastic next to it....... truely outrageous........
If the G5 is a cool runner, then certainly alot of the TiBooks cooling system can be removed....... they maybe able to shave the odd mm here and there, but unless optical and HD can be produced with thinner dimensions, then I guess the physical size of the case is restricted by this......
I'm sure Apple has some Tardis style work arounds for this though......
If you chart the releases of TiBooks--the top speed of each CPU upgrade, those being 500, 667, and 800 on a time scale--and then run a line through them, you'll see that the line runs into 1GHz exactly in March 2003, just in time for Macworld Tokyo.
The trend is your friend.
Maybe, but instinct is not extinct.
My instinct tells me that there will be an update to the Titanium in October, maybe November. That update might have 1000MHz in it. I am arguing March 2003, since I would assume that there would be an update before then. And 100MHz increments are just too small. Finally, if the low end PowerMac for New York is a 1000MHz G4 the Powerbook must stay right up there in speed in order for Apple to profit.
So I say: Bend the trend.
All due respect, I think you're relying more on wishful thinking than instinct. An October upgrade to 1GHz would be the fastest and biggest CPU upgrade to the Powerbook lines ever.
100MHz increments are not too small, that's what the increments have been often used, as they were for the iMac just a few days ago. But I never suggested such increments; I think the next one will be 1GHz, too--just coming out later than you expect. MWSF at earliest, no sooner--but my money's on it coming out later, probably Tokyo.
As for comparing the PowerMacs and the PowerBooks, there has never been a consistent link between the two. The G3's came out at the same time (250 for PB and 300 for PM), but since then, they have never been in synch. For example, it took 15 months between the release of the 500MHz G4 PowerMac and that of the 500MHz PowerBook. You can't use one to judge the other.
Then you have to remember that coming out with upgrades one after the other tends to tick off previous buyers. Coming out with the biggest upgrade earlier than ever before will make a lot of present buyers upset--something definitely important for Apple to profit.
we might see another speed bump at or before MWSF03 but after that, it'll probably go to G5...
I agree with the sentiment that we'll have another speed bump, probably a Gigabook at MWSF03, but I am not sure that this will be the final update before a G5. They might squeeze in another, depending on the issues with fitting a G5 into a powerbook format. Perhaps G5 PM at mwsf03 and G5pb at m2ny03. But who knows WHAT apple will introduce by then? A design change has followed each chip generation upgrade, so who knows what they will look like.
What I'd like to see is a SuperDrive in the powerbook line. THEN we're cooking.
Tokyo, my argument simply stated that Apple would have to keep up with the speed of an updated PowerMac at MacWorld New York.
If Apple does not release a 1000MHz Powerbook around Q4 and the low end Powermac by Q3 is, as suggested, 1000MHz, then how would people react to a Powerbook that cannot keep up with a PowerMac? And I do not think that consumers would be ticked off about a big Titanium Powerbook upgrade as much as they would be happy that Apple's portable line of products has reached the 1GHz level.
Besides, Apple has done large MHz differences on updates to their computer linem especially with their PowerMacs. Apple went from DP500MHz to 733MHz (I am aware that the number of processors went down). I whink that Apple needs to release a portable 1GHz notebook before this year is over. Otherwise, I would think that Apple would not profit that much from their portable line.
The g4s on the PBs being low power versions of the g4s on the powermacs (g4/800 pb==LP g4/1000 PM), dont you think we cannot even be sure of a 1gig in the PB unless there is some sign that the powermacs are going to go 1.2 or 1.4 gigs some time soon?
That is why we are assuming in a few months from now Apple will have PowerMacs with a high-end dual 1.2 or dual 1.4GHz processor. There have been previous rumors on this for a while. We are also assuming that PowerBooks come out after the PowerMacs are updated.