Gillette can't beat them, so they sue them.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Dec 19, 2015.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Gillette, not the best a man can get anymore, so they sue Dollar Shave Club.
    http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/18/news/companies/gillette-sues-dollar-shave-club/

2. FieldingMellish Suspended

Right away there's a problem with that. Gillette blades don't stay sharp. Gillette can blow me with their patent.

3. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Who cares, other than those who have a financial stake in one or the other?

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The fact is Gillette has over priced their blades forever. Now that someone cheaper is starting to eat their lunch they have to resort to a lawsuit.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

This should be in current events. No way someone one can make this PRSI worthy.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I seen this coming since they start with those commercials.

7. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Well, if someone commits suicide with the razor blades, we might find ourselves in a razor blade banning thread.

8. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I figured it would go the other way so I stuck it here. Plus it's something not mentioning Trump or Clinton in the thread title.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Ditto. I use a Mach 3, and I can get two smooth shaves out of a cartridge before I have to resort to hacking away at my beard like I'm holding a weed whacker.

Stays sharp MY ASS! :mad:

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Can't say I'm not surprised by the lawsuit - whatever their true motive may be.

I recently subscribed to the DSC and am quite happy with the cost and getting fresh blades to use each week.

Gillette and Schick just charge more than their product is worth to me.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I get the economy two blade form DSC. Get about 3-4 shaves both head and face out of them.

12. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I've been with DSC since day one.

Between the BS 15-20% Pink Tax on lady razors and the fact that I can get maybe 3 shaves before my legs look like I've run through a briar patch. I've saved a bunch of money by using DSC.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm a pretty fair Gillette loyalist. The 7 o'clock blacks are solid performers and I can get 2 weeks of use if needed, even though I replace them after a week. If I could get them for a reasonable price in the US, I wouldn't need friends to pick up a couple dozen or so packs every time they go to India.

Stropping the blades on my backup Mach 3 helps keep that from needing changing more than once every six months or so (at 2-3 shaves a month)

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not me. I've had a beard since graduating from high school.

I can't remember the last time I bought razor blades. But I hear they're expensive.

15. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

I've got a goatee, and I trim with an electric. Razor blades can serve in a pinch if you run out of X-acto blades.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A little trim and cleanup with an electric twice a week is all I need.

I like to keep the beard fairly close and tight. No hipster, hillbilly bush for me.

17. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

We stand by patent law in this country. The question is, has a patent been violated?

I use Schict or Gillette throw away blades when not using my Norelco electric shaver.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Gillette Fusion Proglide... Seem to last a lot longer than the Gillete Fusion non-proglide. Shaving daily, I get about 5-7 days out of the GFPG- 3 days with a regular Fusion before I feel like I am using a rusty butter knife. Mach 3 doesn't give me a that good of a shave, but tend to use them for my prolific neck hair :eek:. Schick seem to be cheaper to buy but don't last as long.

The whole thing is a giant racket. I've thought about these discount mail order stuff but never bit the bullet to try.

19. dec. Suspended

dec.

A friend gave me a safety razor for my birthday and I absolutely love it. A blade lasts about 1-2 weeks and I can get 50 blades for about $30. No more overpriced Mach 3 blades for me.. I have a short beard but shave part of my chin/neck. It does take a bit longer but once you get used to it, it's really cool.

20. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Not sure where I had read something about Korea being behind this copy.

21. tgara, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2015

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Gillette has had market dominance for so many years, I think they're finally feeling the bite from the lower cost and online sellers like Dollar Shave Club, Harry's and other "shave clubs". I think Gillette actually has started its own shave club as well, an online service similar to DSC. Gillette is trying to slow this down by asserting their patents.

The Gillette patent in question covers blade coatings, if anyone is interested:

A razor blade comprising
    a substrate with a cutting edge defined by a sharpened tip and adjacent facets,
    a layer of hard coating on said cutting edge, said hard coating being made of amorphous material containing carbon,
    an overcoat layer of a chromium containing material on said layer of hard coating, and
    an outer layer of polytetrafluoroethylene coating over said overcoat layer.

The patent was issued in 2004 and has only about 5 years of life left before it expires.

Defending a patent suit is very expensive. The traditional defense that DSC will likely make is that the Gillette patent is invalid or unenforceable, although making a case for that will take a lot of research and time. Gillette has many more resources than DSC, although over the summer I think DSC knew this might happen and started to stockpile cash to deal with it.

Dorco is the South Korean company that makes the allegedly infringing blades for DSC. They were not named in the lawsuit.

22. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I use DSC. I'm perfectly happy with products and service. I'm never buying expensive and overpriced blades again.

24. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

I've been tempted to switch and go the safety razor route. Are you cutting the crap out of your face? Hear that's the only downfall when you start up.

25. steve knight Suspended

steve knight