Gingrich: Gays Should Not Adopt, I Would Reinstate Don't Ask, Don't Tell

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Nov 18, 2011.

1. MadeTheSwitch, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

No big surprise really. But here is a video clip of Newt spouting off on gays and his views on what "tradition" is.
    (BONUS: Video also contains footage of Santorum complaining about how difficult it is to get his fellow conservatives to follow him down the rabbit hole!!)

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.co...-dont-ask-dont-tell/politics/2011/11/17/30366

Interesting view considering Newt's track record with marriage. Also interesting that someone would want to send troops into battle to fight for freedom while not giving it to the troops themselves. And when running for leader of the FREE world he still thinks that not everyone should be free to marry or adopt! Apparently he doesn't understand that when you are elected President, you need to represent all people in the country, not just some of them. How hypocritical.

No doubt more choice anti-gay comments will be forthcoming during the "Thanksgiving Family Forum" debate tomorrow. Can't wait! http://www.thefamilyleader.com/thanksgiving-family-forum

Edit: added the following state by state schedule info for tomorrow's debate so people can either listen on radio or watch it streaming on the internet.
    http://www.citizenlink.com/2011/11/15/radio-stations-carrying-thanksgiving-family-forum-revealed/

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Newt is a douchebag, just like the rest of the GOP hopefuls.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

One can only hope they'll swing so far right as to be unelectable.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Of course tradition isn't letting gays adopt children or serve in the military. Real traditional family values are serving your wife divorce papers while she's in the hospital getting treated for cancer. And then cheating on your new wife with someone else. All while impeaching the sitting president for receiving a blow job from someone besides his wife. That, my friends, is traditional family values.

I'm not sure it's possible for them to go even further right.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Donald Trump
    Michelle Bachmann
    Rick Perry
    Herman Cain
    Newt
    Gingrich

Newt's got about a week left until his past explodes on him.

Who's next?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I bet Pawlenty regrets dropping out of the race now. He seemed crazier than Romney to appeal to the *******e wing of the GOP, but not crazy enough to appeal to the independents.

I'm going to guess that Sarah Palin will realize that her 15 minutes of fame is down to the last 30 seconds and will jump in the race. She can't go that long without a camera in front of her.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Kind of like how Obama swung left to get elected, then swung to the center to govern.

Even if Gingrich wanted to I don't believe he'd be able to reinstate DADT. He's just talking to the family values conservative base.

8. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

If I were truly cynical, I'd say that Ron Paul will be next.

However, I'm extremely cynical, so I say that Ron Paul and Michelle Bachmann will both be next.

The question is which Not!Mitt will be up during the primaries?

9. .Andy, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I thought obama was a centrist from the outset?

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

lets face facts. They are trying anything to get more votes. They know no matter what they are not going to the gays vote so pissing off that group is not a big deal to them.

That being said this is just yet another reason why the GOP needs to be kicked out of the office.
    That and proof the Tea Party has way to much power and they are running scared of it.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

lol good memory

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

That is only because you are sane.

13. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

True, but they also piss off the friends and family of gay people as well as anyone who takes a more progressive view on things. And make themselves look more out of touch in the process. Bashing gays might have worked well in the 1970's, but it is becoming less and less a viable strategy. Which is probably why you hear them carp about "the illegals" so much now. Never-mind that their patron Saint Reagan gave amnesty to them at the time.

The GOP always seems to need a scapegoat for some reason.

14. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

It's the politics of division. And it seems to work.

"Look out for the other guy. He wants something that is rightfully yours. Vote for us, and we'll protect you."

Taxes. Immigration. Civil Rights. Name the issue. It comes down to division.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Thank you. :cool:

I didn't want to Godwin this thread, but there you have it. :D

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.” :p

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not working so well for them lately, is it?

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I really want The Grinch to be the Republican nominee (please,please,please).

18. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Actually, It certainly worked well in 2010.

Obama took the opposite approach in 2008, and that was successful. It just appears that most candidates are too scared to go that route. The "division" and "anger" seem to get all of the media attention.

This is just speculation based on recent polling and demographics, but I think using gay marriage as a wedge issue is going to start to bring out more supporters of same sex rights than detractors.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant