Gingrich: Laws preventing child labor are 'truly stupid'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Nov 20, 2011.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I wonder if he would pay the kids minimum wage or put in a clause that pays the kids below minimum wage......

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...laws-preventing-child-labor-are-truly-stupid/

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I started working with my dad when I was 11. I don't know if I'd call call the child labor laws "truly stupid", but having a kid start doing a little work isn't such a bad thing.

3. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

That is what chores around the house is for, IMHO. Their allowance is their "wage" for doing those chores.

But, this plan sounds like an attempt to bust another union more than actually caring about instilling a good work ethic in kids.

4. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I had a paper route at 12. I learned marketing, accounting and customer relations. It gave me an appreciation for the value of money. It inspired me to go into business on my own.

Mopping floors in a public school doesn't sound so inspiring. He could have thought of a better example than that.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Newt wants to lay off janitors and hire their children for half as much now? This isn't about helping kids. It's about saving money, and he is a jackass for not at least owning what he is attempting to say.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think there shouldn't be a limit on what age you can perform work, but there should be a cap on the hours you are allowed progressing as you get older (even though during the summer when I was around 14 we'd sometimes work 12 hour days and it didn't really affect me (besides the fact that it sucked and I only got 50 dollars a day)). I worked in the fields doing hard labor/mowed lawns during my teen years as most others from my rural area did. Im not sure what jobs urban kids would have available to them. I bought my first car outright when I was 16 and that was a good feeling.

7. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

I really want The Grinch to be the Republican nominee (please,please,please).

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

This. If you want to hire children for less, just SAY you want to hire children for less. Stop with all this "Oh, it's really about helping the younger generation!" Anyone who doesn't see through this one needs help.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No you don't. He's 5 times smarter than any candidate, including the current president. He's hard to relate to for the average voter since he's so intelligent, that's his downfall. Believe me when I tell you he is the last person the Obama camp wants to debate. His understanding of policy would make our current president look like a fifth grader.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a load of crap. He is the most intellectually dishonest politician we have in the US with a reality distortion field that rivals that of Steve Jobs.

I do respect his stature as an historian. :D

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

lol ok

Please enlighten me. Intellectually dishonest in your liberal mind, maybe?

Believe me the Obama camp would much rather debate Perry or Cain.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'd hardly refer to myself as a liberal but if not backing any of the *******e people battling for the Rep. nomination means I am one, so be it.

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

How old are you? I've been watching Gingrich his entire career, mostly because he has consistently been the most corrupt, hypocritical caricature of a fat crooked politician I have ever seen. He brings one thing to the GOP and one thing only: a singular talent for infectious self-righteousness that people just eat up while he's saying it, but which falls apart like the plot of an M. Night Shyamalan movie on a minute's later reflection. He simply isn't presidential material.

14. Eraserhead, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They wouldn't rather debate the only serious candidate with a chance of winning the Republican nomination, Romney.

The people at school who work because they want to have some extra beer money do fine working and its almost certainly a positive for them. However those people can easily cut back their hours or leave their job when there are exams or a big project due. They do fine.

The people who are organised and work in their summer holidays for some beer/holiday/extra money do fine - and do better than people who laze around.

The people who work while at school/University because they need the money, and who can't stop when the exams come along, and/or restrict their hours in term time don't do fine and do significantly worse than they would otherwise.

On this note both Oxford and Cambridge ban their students from working in term time (I think working in the college bar is exempt) - and you get free money if you need it.

15. KeriJane, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011

KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

He said WHAT??? :eek:

Gingrich is obviously a Democrat plant sent to ensure the re-election of President Obama.
    He's right on schedule too, because even when he loses the nomination, his party remains rightfully associated with his vile principles.

Newt deserves our thanks for reminding us of their beliefs.

Please, please, pleeeeaaase, let Newt win the nomination! The Republicans need a candidate that openly supports Child Labor as well as his particular "Family Values".

Holy Windows! What kind of "Family" are his values from? The Sopranos?

This could be really really funny!

Ol' Newt would certainly put in a clause that not only reduces the Minimum wage for Child Labor, it would probably set a maximum Child Labor wage as well ..... they're only 2/3 of an adult after all, so why should they earn adult wages?

He'll even fix the affordable Daycare problem! By turning Daycare centers into sweatshops......

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

How the hell are you going to pay your child an allowance if you can't even afford to put food on the table on a regular basis? Remember not everyone lives the Leave it to Beaver life.

--

This sounds good in theory. I like the examples of paper routes etc and I don't see how it would hurt to allow a child, by their own choice, to help around the school or parks etc to earn some spending money, help their family or even put back money for college etc...

17. ender land macrumors 6502a

My cousin works in South Korea as an english teacher and I'm fairly sure the system there is that students clean/tidy up the building.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Hey, umm, its clear you dislike Gingrich. But you're taking what he said and equating that to the furthest degree. Do you honestly think that Gingrich wants to turn daycares into sweatshops?

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Back when I was cheffing a lot of the restaurants hired the local kids from age 13-16 to work and paid them minimum wage.

My first job.other than my paper route was at 12 I think. I was an elevator operator . Got paid $.75 an hour plus tips. I loved it.

Now this stuff about replacing union janitors. Some of those union janitors are also the school engineer and most work at night.
    I can't figure out how any kid could actually work as a janitor since they usually work after school hours and late at night.

Oh and I think the last place a kid wants to be after school is IN the school working. In their mind it would be akin to punishment.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Lots of people work where they would rather not be.

This might be a good life-lesson for the kids, IF the hours could be worked-out so as not to interfere with homework/sleep.

21. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The key to that statement is "people". Meaning mostly adults. Not kids. They are different.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Newt Gingrich is a stupid man's idea of what a smart person sounds like - Paul Krugman

23. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Valid point.

I wouldn't be opposed to kids getting paper routes or mowing neighbors lawns, etc in order to make money. But, janitors?

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What kind of neighborhoods/time periods do you people all live in? Where i live, papers are thrown out of car windows by adults (if you have a paper at all in this digital age, which my house does not), and lawns are mowed by mexican lawn services. Where i live, the Beaver is unemployed.

25. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The problem here isnt labor laws. The problem is morals. And you can't make or change laws that regulate morality.