Gingrich Releases 30 Minute 'Obama' Campaign Ad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Jan 11, 2012.

1. rdowns, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, what is he thinking? (only about half way through the video) Gingrich is mad with blind rage, IMO. He can't win, him staying in the race helps Romney and it's political suicide for him.

I think he has a point about how private equity firms exploit companies (I worked for 2 companies that were acquired by PE firms and both used the same playbook) but this is just over the top.

This is a huge win for Obama.

When Mitt Romney Came to Town
    http://www.webcasts.com/kingofbain/

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Bling rage? Considering his massive debt owed to Tiffany, that's just funny.

Some thought Gingrich was in this to raise his profile and to make more money on his books, but this may alienate his audience. Then again, it may be exactly what his audience wants to hear. I can't even begin to guess what they might like.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow! Thanks Newt! Now Obama doesn't need to to this research!

4. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Well, the ad was right for a couple of minutes - but its incomplete. It needs to smear all of the GOP.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Anyone who can sit through a political ad that is half an hour long is a much hardier or more patient soul than I.

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can thank Citizens United for this. This is going to be one nasty election with Obama and Romney (presumably) spending $1 billion each. I'm hoping both side go ape **** so something gets done about it.

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The video kept on cutting out on me - Just stopped about 10 minutes in.

I'm disappointed I couldn't watch this so called Rage at Obama.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I thought the OP was referring to Newt's particular brand of rhetoric. After all, you have to create a brand identity these days. Could be a clever marketing ploy...

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Too subtle for Republicans? Should read "Gingri$h". ;)

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Gangrene may be more suitable.

(Then again, that might be an even push.)

BL.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I had several thoughts watching that thing:

• When did Mr. Gingrich suddenly become concerned with predatory capitalism? I mean, on what night did he wake up, thrashing in his bedsheets, with this revelation? Oh, I know this video is designed mainly to torpedo Romney, but really, does he think that we think that this kind of predatory capitalism isn't widespread, and widely endorsed and defended by Gingrich's own party?
    • The video's origin doesn't necessarily detract from the message of the video itself, which is that people who run "investment" firms like that honest-to-god don't think of themselves as immoral; they think it's just smart business. It's chilling to think of how common that kind of sociopathy is in the business world.
    • Interesting that this is put out by "winningourfuture.com". Hasn't Obama been using the slogan "winning the future"?
    • If you stick with the video, at the end it sends you to a web page for Newt that says, "Newt Gingrich is the ONLY candidate equipped to battle the Obama machine." Okay: Newt must be getting schizophrenic. His video looks like something that could be put out by Operation Wall Street...yet he's still a Republican, and still talks like Obama's the enemy.

(BTW, I always thought Newt Gingrich was a great name...if you're Charles Dickens, trying to come up with a moniker for your latest villain.)

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

So much stock footage....... so many edited interviews...... so little time:rolleyes:

He's literally attempting to make this into an argument over who is less of a scumbag.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just got done watching the whole thing. Wow- that is damning. If Romney gets the nomination, all the Dems have to do is run parts of this thing over and over.

15. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Gingrich was never seriously in this race. Even the Republicans aren't that suicidal. It's just another grift for him.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

At least the economic stimulus will keep some people in the media industry employed / busy? :eek:

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Gingrich is behind, and like every candidate apart from Mitt Romney, he must resort to riskier, more aggressive strategies to try and make up lost ground. It's his only chance to win - but there is a strong whiff of desperation to it as well.

Romney, always considered the front-runner, has had the luxury of running a more conservative campaign in terms of his strategy and rhetoric. All he needs to do is to comb his hair, keep his suit pressed, look 'presidential' and he'll win the nomination.

18. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Watching Gingrich hang around in politics like he does is like watching someone re-enlist in the Hundred Years' War.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What else does he, or any of them for that matter, got to do with their remaining years?

Public service??

Not noted for self-aggrandizement.