Girl Accidentally Shoots Gun Instructor

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Aug 26, 2014.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

A 9 year old with an Uzi. Darwin calling.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/instructor-accidentally-shot-girl-9-dies

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

that's just sad altogether

why would anyone teach a 9-year old how to handle an uzi? Did he intend to sign her up to a cartel or something?

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Stick around. I'm sure some of our gun experts will defend this.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I was waiting for someone to criticize the quality of his decision to become a gun instructor:D.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Beat me to it. I read it in the LVRJ, as it was the local news to the incident. I was going to post something, but there's already enough negative going on.

All I will say is that I feel for the girl, as well as the family of the instructor. And this is a damn good reason why children should not be around guns, regardless of what parent owns them.

Parent's/instructor's gun, parent's/instructor's responsibility.

BL.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

thank you for that. thoughts are with the families.

7. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

as unfortunate as they event may be, play with fire, you get burned. the only innocent here is the 9-year old, and now she will be scarred for life

how does anyone overcome such an event?

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

My daughter is 11 and while she has not fired an uzi, she has fired small caliber weapons on an indoor range with qualified personnel present. I want her to understand how firearms work. I don't want her to use them but I also don't want her to be afraid of them.

I would not put a high powered weapon in her hands without my hands being on the weapon, as well. A nine-year-old cannot be expected to control a 9 mm UZI.

It is still the job of the parent to supervise the child when using a weapon and to properly secure the weapons in the home. Every weapon that I own has a trigger lock or cable lock, in addition to being kept in gun safes, with the exception of my carry weapon.

9. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Poor girl, now she'll be traumatized for the rest of her life because her parents let this happen.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Her parents, and, it must be said, the instructor too. What the hell was he thinking?

11. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

This shooting range is under an insurance policy that says if you want a nine year old to try an Uzi, go ahead???

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I imagine someone will be held responsible, the range maybe? Who allows a 9 year old to even touch an uzi. Didn't something like his happen a few years ago where the instructor was killed by a child.

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

A similar thing happened back in 2008 in Massachusetts. Only in that case the 8 year old boy lost control of the weapon and accidentally shot and killed himself.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/boy8_accidentally_shoots_himse.html

You'd think people would realize that an automatic weapon is way too much for a small child to handle physically. Normally a 9mm isn't known to have a lot of recoil, but when it's fully automatic and the person firing is that small and probably doesn't know what to expect, that's just asking for a tragedy.

I have a 10ish year old daughter and the only gun I'd consider allowing her to shoot (and at that it would have to be at a range) is a 0.22 caliber rifle. But I don't own any guns, and I'm not looking for an opportunity for her to shoot one either.

Hate to say it, but the adults in this situation should have been smart enough to see that coming, and they certainly shouldn't be shocked that someone is dead. I'm just glad it wasn't the child this time.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

15. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I would never let any child under 14-16 years old fire a gun. The recoil alone could injure them.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that depends on many factors. I have been shooting .22's since age 8.

17. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Depends on the child, and on the gun. But .22 LR, especially shot out of a rifle, doesn't produce enough recoil to injure anyone really. The boy scouts have them at shooting ranges for ages 12 and up.

18. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I was shooting rifles and shotguns when I was eight. Of course, I was on a farm.

19. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Too much gun. Too little person.

Tends to be a bad combo.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

There's really nothing to defend or condemn in this matter. If we're going to be the nation with the most guns and the liberty to access and handle guns, then incidents like this are bound to occur.

It's a part of the price we willingly pay ... over, and over and over.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The instructor will think twice about handing a loaded Uzi to a 9 year old again.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Farms ... the magical land of safe gun handling.

:rolleyes:

23. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Maybe not so much...:p

24. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

So sad and completely avoidable. People and their obsession with guns. Maybe this will wake up the parents and family to the dangers that guns present.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well if they haven't been woken up already.....