Girl Accidentally Shoots Gun Instructor

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
A 9 year old with an Uzi. Darwin calling.

DOLAN SPRINGS, Ariz. (AP) — A 9-year-old girl accidentally killed an Arizona shooting instructor as he was showing her how to use an automatic Uzi, authorities said Tuesday.

Charles Vacca, 39, of Lake Havasu City, died Monday shortly after being airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, Mohave County sheriff's officials said.

Vacca was standing next to the girl at the Last Stop outdoor shooting range in White Hills when she pulled the trigger and the recoil sent the gun over her head, investigators said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/instructor-accidentally-shot-girl-9-dies

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
that's just sad altogether

why would anyone teach a 9-year old how to handle an uzi? Did he intend to sign her up to a cartel or something?

Stick around. I'm sure some of our gun experts will defend this.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Beat me to it. I read it in the LVRJ, as it was the local news to the incident. I was going to post something, but there's already enough negative going on.

All I will say is that I feel for the girl, as well as the family of the instructor. And this is a damn good reason why children should not be around guns, regardless of what parent owns them.

Parent's/instructor's gun, parent's/instructor's responsibility.

BL.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Beat me to it. I read it in the LVRJ, as it was the local news to the incident. I was going to post something, but there's already enough negative going on.

All I will say is that I feel for the girl, as well as the family of the instructor. And this is a damn good reason why children should not be around guns, regardless of what parent owns them.

Parent's/instructor's gun, parent's/instructor's responsibility.

BL.
thank you for that. thoughts are with the families.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
My daughter is 11 and while she has not fired an uzi, she has fired small caliber weapons on an indoor range with qualified personnel present. I want her to understand how firearms work. I don't want her to use them but I also don't want her to be afraid of them.

I would not put a high powered weapon in her hands without my hands being on the weapon, as well. A nine-year-old cannot be expected to control a 9 mm UZI.

It is still the job of the parent to supervise the child when using a weapon and to properly secure the weapons in the home. Every weapon that I own has a trigger lock or cable lock, in addition to being kept in gun safes, with the exception of my carry weapon.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Poor girl, now she'll be traumatized for the rest of her life because her parents let this happen.

Nismo73

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2013
This shooting range is under an insurance policy that says if you want a nine year old to try an Uzi, go ahead???

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I imagine someone will be held responsible, the range maybe? Who allows a 9 year old to even touch an uzi. Didn't something like his happen a few years ago where the instructor was killed by a child.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
A similar thing happened back in 2008 in Massachusetts. Only in that case the 8 year old boy lost control of the weapon and accidentally shot and killed himself.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/10/boy8_accidentally_shoots_himse.html

You'd think people would realize that an automatic weapon is way too much for a small child to handle physically. Normally a 9mm isn't known to have a lot of recoil, but when it's fully automatic and the person firing is that small and probably doesn't know what to expect, that's just asking for a tragedy.

I have a 10ish year old daughter and the only gun I'd consider allowing her to shoot (and at that it would have to be at a range) is a 0.22 caliber rifle. But I don't own any guns, and I'm not looking for an opportunity for her to shoot one either.

Hate to say it, but the adults in this situation should have been smart enough to see that coming, and they certainly shouldn't be shocked that someone is dead. I'm just glad it wasn't the child this time.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I would never let any child under 14-16 years old fire a gun. The recoil alone could injure them.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I would never let any child under 14-16 years old fire a gun. The recoil alone could injure them.
Depends on the child, and on the gun. But .22 LR, especially shot out of a rifle, doesn't produce enough recoil to injure anyone really. The boy scouts have them at shooting ranges for ages 12 and up.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Stick around. I'm sure some of our gun experts will defend this.
There's really nothing to defend or condemn in this matter. If we're going to be the nation with the most guns and the liberty to access and handle guns, then incidents like this are bound to occur.

It's a part of the price we willingly pay ... over, and over and over.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
I was shooting rifles and shotguns when I was eight. Of course, I was on a farm.
Farms ... the magical land of safe gun handling.

:rolleyes:

SEDGWICK COUNTY, Kan. -- A stray target shooting bullet sent one man to the hospital Sunday afternoon. It happened west of Wichita near Andale, and now Sedgwick County deputies are urging gun owners to know their surrounds before they shoot.

The homeowner was struck by a bullet in his behind. Sedgwick County Officers said it came from across a farm field behind his backyard. Five men ages 18-20 were shooting several rounds from the other side of the field. They were aiming at a dead stump with no back stop. Sedgwick Co. Sgt. Kevin Berry said it was a wreckless mistake.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Gun-Safety-Stressed-Following-Accidental-Shooting-271658341.html

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
So sad and completely avoidable. People and their obsession with guns. Maybe this will wake up the parents and family to the dangers that guns present.