Girl, age 11, charged with DUI

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gauchogolfer, Jul 6, 2007.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

CNN.com

Craziness. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, in terms of access to alcohol, car keys, etc. Also, where they heck did she learn to drive so well?

Any guesses as to whether or not the parents should/will be blamed as well?

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Heck, my dad's been teaching me to drive since I was 8, so (at least to me) That isn't really surprising that she could drive. Still, getting drunk then driving is really irresponsible and stupid. Wonder what kind of punishment she'll get?

3. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I am assuming that since she is only 11 she will be charged with DUI, speeding, reckless endangerment, and leaving the scene of an accident as a minor. I have no idea what type of punishment they would give a minor in this type of situation. I do feel the parents should be responsible (depending on the actual situation) for her behavior, especially if she got the alcohol from them.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

... wow, an 11 year old driving at 100mph would have floored me, but drunk wow.

glad shes not badly hurt, and I'm sure it wasn't intentional so she won't get into trouble, or the parents won't get into to much. (unless they are to blame, which is another issue in and of itself)

I don't see any sort of changes coming out of this, just an unfortunate series of events that fortunately turned out ok.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

In the UK she would get a ban from driving for two years which means **** because shes not legally allowed to drive for 5 years. :rolleyes:

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

The law doesnt care whether you do something intentionally, at least when it comes to traffic laws.

You cant say "But I didnt know I was speeding". You were, so you are guilty.

The fact she is a minor only gets her Family/Juvenile court vs adult court.

I dont believe you just add the tag "by a minor" to any ol' offense and send to to court. She will, maybe, be brought up on charges of DUI, driving recklessly etc etc.

The juvenile judge then has discretion, unlike many mandatory minimum things. As well as having the jurisdiction (correct word there?) to mete out any punishment he/she sees fit, even to the parents as well.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Wow.This is really out there.
    The parent/parents should be charged with contributing and have to pay any damages.
    Furthermore,they should be ordered to some kind of parenting class.
    This is under the assumption the kid got into the liquor cabinet and somehow stole the keys to the car.

8. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

This will make an interesting case...

And in response to your question about driving: most people know how to drive from an early age, they are always watching their parents, and its not like automatic is very hard to learn

9. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Add this to the 10 and 12 year old girls who just kidnapped a baby and demanded $200,000 in ransom and you have quite a week for the pre-teen community of America.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

She wasn't charged for driving without a license?

Or maybe she had one. It wouldn't be the first time the DMV had slipped up.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I blame the parents. My son is older than this girl and still wouldn't be able to get to the keys, open the garage and start the car without either his mom or me there to stop him.