Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I have no sympathy for them. There have been many news stories for a few years about this happening. You would have to be completely oblivious to not know about roaming charges in this day and age. This is why cellular companies now send emails warning you that you have hit your cap.

Their statement that they did not understand the email is an excuse. I say man up and pay the bill. Lesson learned and my daughter would be losing the phone for some time to come. And would certainly never travel with it again unless she was paying the bill.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Stupidity should be punished.

After warnings, this genius continued and ran up a bill. While I have no love for any carriers, if you are too stupid to attend to the warning, and do not know what "roaming charges"...too damn bad. These are not concepts that require any degree of technical knowledge, the concepts simply require an IQ slightly above that of a bag of doorknobs.

In short...tough crap!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
It's her own fault well it's her parents faults too. Every uk phone provide sends warning messages and popups for this. If you choose to ignore and click yes to accepting them that's on you. Orange has done nothing wrong it's all on the girl and her family!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
All these people racking up astronomical bills due to their gadgets is unfortunate. People clearly need educating about stuff like this, as they clearly don't know. Their phones and tablets may as well be running on black magic for all they care and it is this ignorance of not noticing or paying attention to the details, that catches them out.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
I don't have any sympathy for people who end up in this situation. Her parents should have been aware that she would be roaming in the U.S. and taken appropriate steps to accommodate that; especially if she was given notifications.

EDIT: Also, theres Wi-Fi almost everywhere in NYC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.