Girl spends nights in jail after buying a case of water

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gsugolfer, Jun 30, 2013.

1. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/uva-girl-water-beer-jail-181104442.html

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It seems ridiculous even if she was buying beer...

The shop who sold the beer should merely pay a fine.

3. zioxide, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Every single agent who was involved in this should lose their jobs immediately.

What a pathetic failure by all of them. Part of me thinks these "agents" should be facing prison time for abuse of power.. but firing them and making sure they can't get a job other than flipping burgers would probably be sufficient. They clearly aren't intelligent enough to do anything more than that.. hopefully, they don't burn the french fries.

Seriously, if an agent who works for the ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CONTROL agency can't tell the difference between water and beer, they aren't qualified for that job.

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. When's the next shuttle for Mars? :rolleyes:

5. citizenzen Suspended

This is a key part of the article found at the Charlottesville (Va.) Daily Progress site and missing from the Yahoo article ...

While the incident sounds like a huge overreaction, it's important to understand that its a very rare occurrence. Given a population of 300 million people there are bound to be interactions with law enforcement that approach this level of insanity.

It doesn't excuse it. It merely helps to put it in perspective.

Hopefully the officers learn something from this. And I certainly hope the woman is compensated or at the very least completely forgiven for her frightened reaction.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Doesn't matter if it's an isolated incident or not. That shouldn't give the agents a free pass. They should be fired and prosecuted, and maybe that will teach future agents to use their brains and eyes before trying to go full rambo because a college girl has a box of beverage cans that might be beer.

Even if it was beer, what if she was 21 instead of 20? You can't go pulling guns on someone like that. That's crazy.

This country is in a sad place, and it's only getting worse.

7. citizenzen Suspended

I didn't suggest they should.

Though fired and especially prosecuted seems like an unlikely scenario.

Police are rarely held so accountable for their mistakes.

8. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Well in all fairness it was AMERICAN beer. (or would have been).

As we say up here, "How is making love in a canoe like American beer? They're both ********** close to water."

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Yup. And that's one of the biggest problems in our country nowadays.

It was water. :p

And Sam Adams > Molson or Labatts any day of the week. ;)

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The price of eternal vigilance...

If you don't buy water in a fancy package that kinda looks like a fancy package of beer, you have nothing to fear.

Stay safe, America!

11. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Sadly not just yours. Doctors, Police, Social workers etc are never held accountable in the way a shop assistant would be. If a shop assistant screws up they will probably cost there boss some money and maybe lose their job.

If a professional screws up they at worst might get suspended (on full pay) while an investigation is carried out. Then some bod will say we have put such and such in place to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Meanwhile they possibly screwed up somebodies life.

I hope this girl sues the idiots if she can.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

These rare instances make the news too frequently.

13. thekev, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not sure making an example really fixes anything. If they consider that acceptable behavior internally, those are just the officers who happened to claim responsibility for a broader failure. I see several problems. One is that the idiots didn't even check what was sold. If it's a normal purchase, they should be checking the shop, not grabbing frightened people off the street. That they collectively thought that was okay suggests a problem with that agency. The agency itself needs to follow its own rules. Whoever pressed for charges here should be investigated too, as it sounds like they were just angry or merely filed charges to cover themselves. I really don't think making an example works if it's a cultural problem within that agency.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I thought it was the case in VA that law enforcement officers aren't even allowed to undue the snap on their holster unless they feel an imminent threat. Perhaps it was the cookie dough.

15. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Just when I thought I couldn't hate cops even more than I all ready do...... :mad:

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

They do a difficult, crap job that very few people are willing to do. Having said that, they need to work within the boundaries we set for them. In this case it sounds like something went horribly wrong with either their practices or their protocols. If the story is true, then there should be consequences for the officers concerned and their methods should be changed.

17. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

OK, water and water

The major Canadian brew aren’t any better than the major Americans, even in Canada.

LE wonders why it’s not trusted anymore..

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Of course, if those in favour of universal armament had played out their self-defence fantasies, several people would probably be dead, and all for a bottle of water.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

20. Huntn, Jul 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Instead of admitting they screwed up, they pushed their first bad assumption instead of doing the right thing- apologizing. If the situation is as described, they are idiots who deserve to be significantly reprimanded.

And so what if she was an underage person buying beer (which she wasn't). Wouldn't that be a complete over reaction?

21. iMikeT macrumors 68020

If only police officers and people in any position of authority were actually accountable to someone........ say the people they serve? How does that sound?

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Ideal. :)

23. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Virginia has an Alcohol Beverage Control division? Seriously?

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Quite a red herring

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a colossal waste of tax payers money and government overreach at its finest.