girl texts 20,000 in 1 month....$4750 bill!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Keebler, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

ok. I will 100% admit I'm going to judge here.

So the parents thought that texting was disabled on their 13 year old daughter's phone. Fair enough.

But what in the heck are they doing as parents for their daughter to have that much time to send that many messages?!?! Granted, yes...some txt msgs are very short, but still...that is ridiculous.

Either she texted the entire time in school or every few second while at home and therein lies my judgement - how could she get away with this?

I have kids so that is from where my judgement comes - honestly! did they work all the time or just let her spend her time in her room?

Good on the Dad for smashing it up. That is a job well done. I would have done the same.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2009/04/09/9072136-ap.html

I realize I may be over-reacting, but again, as a Parent with younger kids yet to reach the teen years... I question how this could happen.

cheers,
    keebler

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

That's....insane.

I didn't know you could even 'block' texting in the first place.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sounds like a wonderful job of parenting to me. How can a parent(s) not notice that much texting activity?

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I've had texting/picture messaging blocked on my phone for over 4 years now. I don't text and I always hated paying $0.25 for random texts from people saying "Hey".

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

So if you were to try texting, would it just fail when you try to send?

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That's what my carrier does. My carrier allows incoming texts at no charge, but if you have texting turned off, it will fail if you try to send one out. They won't even let me send one and be charged whatever the outrageous fee is now for individual texts.

7. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

AT&T will block text messages as well. I had them do this before I got my iPhone.

8. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Well, to be fair, it could be her primary means of communication. I just copied my AIM logs from yesterday into Pages, and there were 997 lines. Now I know some of them are multiple lines, and there were status changes and such, but even at 900 messages (sent and received) per day, 900 messages per day times 30 days per month is 27 thousand messages in a month.

Now, obviously if you're going to use something that costs money per message, you should probably use fewer, longer messages, and the parents should have made sure that texting was actually disabled, but the logistics themselves aren't really that ridiculous.

9. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Ouch.... My pockets hurt just reading that...

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I don't know, I haven't tried sending one. I do know that if someone tries to send me a text message, they will get an error message that says something like "Text message could not be delivered".

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I can't imagine texting that many messages.

I would think that my fingers would hurt after doing that.

12. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If I've done my math right, that's about 2.16 text messages a minute (in a month with 30 days).

60 * 24 * 30 = 43,200 minutes in 1 month
    43,200 / 20,000 = 2.16 text messages a minute

13. bartelby macrumors Core

You should take out 8 hours a day for sleeping and other time she can't text.
    It'd work out near 3.5 per minute she's awake??

EDIT:Or have I got that wrong, I've just woken up?

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why did the Canoe state 20,000 when in fact it was only 10,000?

Teen's phone meets dad's hammer after mega-bill

10,000 is bad enough. There's no reason to exaggerate it.

15. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

She sent AND received a total of about 20,000. It says right in your quotation that she sent 10K AND received about the same. Both incoming and outgoing message are billed.

The way you interpreted the equation is reversed. It should be 2.16 minutes per message (meaning 1 message every 2.16 minutes) or .4629 messages per minute.

Double the first number and halve the second number for the sent only number--- 4.32 minutes per message (meaning 1 message every 4.32 minutes) or .2314 messages per minute.

These numbers are based on 24-hour days and 30 day months. For 16-hour days and 30 day months I get 1.44 minutes per message sent/received or .6944 messages per minute sent/received and 2.88 minutes per message sent or .3472 messages per minute sent.

See my above replies for the correct computations for a 16 hour day and a 24 hour day.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Gah! that just means she sends a lot of those annoying mass text chain letters. Why anyone sends those I can't imagine, but I receive one about every three days.

17. bartelby macrumors Core

Ta.
    I shouldn't try doing anything so soon after waking up:eek:

18. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

The most interesting part for me is what was going through the girl's head. Did she not think about the bill? And I don't know how she managed this. I send about 1000 a month (doubled since I got my iPhone since I tend to send longer messages, and just 'cause I like texting on it :p) but most of them are rubbish that if I was on a plan that didn't include them I just wouldn't send

I'm loving the dad's solution :)

19. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

If you have texting disabled, I'm going to assume there is not internet, didn't the parents wonder what she was doing on her phone? Obviously someone is going to stare at a blank screen 24/7.

20. afd macrumors 6502a

Parent's fault for letting her have a phone on contract. Pre-pay is the way to go with kids - once the top up is gone it's gone and the kid learns something about the cash value of sending a text or making a call.

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Oops, my apologies. Musta had a blonde moment.

22. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

This is not true... at least on my phone. I have texting disabled, but I can still use the internet (I don't though).

23. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Is this true in the US? Are you billed for incoming texts? That seems a bit silly - in the UK we're only charged for outgoing texts.

24. iMacmatician macrumors 601

In other words, 41.7 messages/hour sent or received and 20.8 messages/hour sent.

And assuming 15 seconds per text (I don't text so I'm just guessing), that's 41.6 hours of sending and 83.3 hours of sending/receiving (5.79% and 11.6% of total time in the month).

25. juliancs macrumors 6502

I have unlimited texts included with my monthly package. For 29 USD I get that and 600 minutes a month. What on earth am I going to do with 10 hours on the phone?! Anyway, the unlimited texts are subject to a "fair usage policy". I send maybe 150/200 a month, so I guess I'm low by today's standard. I don't like talking on the phone, so much rather send a one liner saying "I'll be there at 6" kinda thing.

20,000 is incredible.