Girlfriend moving to NYC from London. What phone to get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tejaykay, Jul 9, 2011.

1. tejaykay macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Hi all,

Slightly odd topic, but I am sure you can help. My girlfriend is moving to NYC for a year in a few weeks. Obviously we're keen to keep in contact, but have no clue on how the mobile phone contract system works in the US.

She'll be taking her blackberry bold (sorry) with her. What are the best data plans if she wants to be able to communicate with the UK? I'm thinking a minimal talk plan with a data attachment (so she can use whatsapp/twitter/Facebook to keep in touch on the move). Also, what are text plans like for messaging people in the UK?

Is it just cheaper to get her an android for a year? Can you get year long contracts?

Your thoughts very much appreciated.

Thank you

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

That's ok, we forgive you.

3. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I have a Verizon Droid X (sorry as well) and for my phone with unlimited everything is I want to say like 60 bucks a month. Both me and my parents are all on a family network. I don't know if this changes anything or not but I do know for Verizon unlimited data plan is 30 bucks a month regardless which includes internet and things like that. Unlimited texting is 20 bucks a month. I'm not sure if the unlimited data plan covers texting or not but if it doesn't that is 50 bucks a month right there unless she doesn't want unlimited texting. I would recommend unlimited because if you have a limit and you go over Verizon screws you hard. I am not sure what the minutes at Verizon cost but I am sure its not a lot. I hope this helps.

4. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Verizon no longer has unlimited 3G plans. I would've recommended Verizon, but now I'm not sure. Either that or Sprint I suppose. I've been all over the U.S. and in my experience, Verizon is the best, coverage-wise. But the 3G data plan for smartphones is $30 for 2GB. Sprint has an unlimited-everything plan, but I'm not sure what the price is. They also offer unlimited data plans.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You'll want to do something non-contract. Contracts are typically a two year minimum and cost a fortune to get out of early. There are plenty of non-contract providers that have decent services and prices.

6. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

Oh yea. That only goes in effect for new Verizon customers though. Mine is still 30 bucks unlimited. If not my parents are gonna hit the roof when they get the bill. I have used 50GB of data this month and we have until the 19th. But I looked and mine is still unlimited.

7. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Since it sounds like she wants to use her same phone, her only gsm options are att and tmobile. I believe you can get att prepaid with a data option, not sure on price though. She should also use skype for texting and calling cheap using an internet connection at home. Good luck with the long distance relationship dude :rolleyes:

8. StvenH90 macrumors regular

What are doing on that phone? I don't think I even hit that with my home internet.

9. tejaykay thread starter macrumors 6502

tejaykay

Hi all, thanks for the responses. All of which were really useful.

I think I've found the best option may be with T-Mobile, who offer a talk/text plan alongside the blackberry services and then I guess we would have an data bolt-on as well. This looks to be coming out to about $80, is this the usual price for a smartphone contract in the US?

A little off topic, but what is the availability of wi-fi networks in NYC? In the UK, most networks are encrypted. I was thinking of getting her an iPod touch for facetime, etc.

Thanks again.

Tim

10. iphonepiephone macrumors regular