Girls game more? and prefer it over sex?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WillEH, Jul 14, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Well, honestly, I've never met a female who even likes gaming... my girlfriend doesn't even know how to play games!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...st-men--prefer-gaming-sex-survey-reveals.html

2. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

Quite interesting. I never would have expected such findings... except for the sex part... temptresses.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Mrs Cake is the gamer in our house, she's rather partial to an FPS or two. I don't dabble apart from Football Manager.

Revealingly, the study showed that not only are women just as keen on gaming as men - but that the majority would rather spend time playing on their gadgets than having sex.

I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Pffffft, like I'd pass up sex for a game. Though my husband is convinced that I don't pay enough attention to him when I'm playing the werewolf games here. :D

5. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I like playing a game here and there but I'd much rather prefer the latter. Interesting article.

6. .Andy, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

To be a party pooper I wouldn't believe anything this "study" demonstrated at all. This is an increasingly used promotional tactic by companies to get free media exposure. They carry out a sham survey, usually very poorly designed on a self-selected population, but consistently revolving around something sensational and attention grabbing like sex or males vs females. Then they prepare a press release that they send to tabloid newspapers who are increasingly short of money and time for real journalism (and a lack of quality such as the daily mail). Said newspapers then write a quick and easy advertorial surrounding the press release without questioning it at all, resulting in free advertising for said company. In this case a corn chip company who has released a mediocre phone and facebook app.

How exciting.

As an aside can anyone find out any information about this survey besides the numbers that are reported? For instance who was surveyed, how many people, how they were recruited, and what questions they were asked? I had a quick google and can't find a thing.

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Love gaming but I have little time. Love sex and I'll make the time. I pick being the reason someone shoots their load over camping out until I can shoot you in the head and I don't give a **** what you want to fertilize on your farm as long as you're not fertilizing me. That's not my end game either. :D

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

This does not correlate with my experience, at all.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Doritos a corn chip manufacturer is not exactly a credible source for a research study. Their survey group was likely 8 to 15 years old claiming they are 25 to 40 and making $100K+ a year.

Further the daily mail is a tabloid newspaper. They are about as reputable as the National Enquirer or The Sun.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Apparently, the study included board games and mind games, because I've never met a girl frequently played video games.

13. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

Depends on the game ... and the sex :)

I love RPGs, personally ... I adored the first "Dragon Age" (haven't had a chance to play the new one), "Oblivion," both "Mass Effects" ... not so much into FPSes or more strategy-type games. Don't play much now, because the kids suck up most of my time. But I'll admit that I don't know many other women who play.

14. cantthinkofone, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Mind games no doubt. I don't care what people say. I am convinced women have a secret society to mess with men's heads. Why else would they need to go to the restroom so much? They go there and have a video conference with their cohorts.

15. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Quote of the day :D

16. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well they should of ask what games they played. Males are more likely to play MMO but females are much more likely to play the casel games like farmville and things like that. Take for example the Sims. I knew way more girls who were nuts of it compared to guys. Make that 0 guys and quite a few girls. Sims was nuts for girls. The online little flash games another example.

The last girl I dated she would often times play some of her iPod games before going to bed at night.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Too easy. Pass. :p

18. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

My crush plays a lot of video games! and she kicks everyone's ass in those games too :D left for dead...black ops...infact she can play any game and still kick ass...she's like 10000times better than me :eek:
    hahaha maybe that's why i like her so much :D

19. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

That's oh so going in my sig. Shame I couldn't get it all in. My partner would say something similar, if she wasn't too busy working. She's a high maintenance jewish princess too. Hmm.

20. lvlarkkoenen macrumors regular

Well.. I do agree that the Daily Mail isn't the greatest of sources, I find the article quite badly written, and the source being a research done by Doritos doesn't help either. But I don't agree that it's not credible at all. The main conclusion, for me, is that females play games increasingly much - at about the same level as males, and that they tend to focus on different games and different aspects of it. That, if you ask me, isn't particularly stunning at all.

Oh, and numbers will differ a bit from country to country as well, and it's not explained where Doritos did their research.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Bravo. Very well said. If there was a little icon that depicted applause, you would certainly merit it.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't find that at all.
    Casual gamers tend to be any sex, any background but spend hours a day playing those Facebook and other casual games.
    MMO's have a very high ratio of female players. If I had to guess a figure I'd say they're split 50/50, possibly even a higher ratio for women on Asian MMOs.

Some of the analytics from my recent game (an super fast, trippy arcade shooter) show that 95% of players are male and 5% female. But one of my previous ones (exploration-based platformer) had a 50/50 split.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's nice and all but she is a crush, ergo prob not a girlfriend and this entire excited post tells me she's not giving it up. At least not to you. A girl who games is awesome to many, no doubt. A girl who would rather game than have sex is not so awesome, not even a little. (I'm thinking more age appropriate and not tweens).
    haha nice one. :)

24. Eyeheartfrogz macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ps3 <3 I like gaming at times but wouldnt call myself a hardcore gamer.. But then again my boyfriend says I am the only girl who's ever understood his gaming or that he sometimes spends 12hrs at a time on his ps3 only stopping to eat the food I make him or go to the toilet lol.

25. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

[​IMG]